Tuesday, June 28, 2005

All Out WAR

Okay, so Awesome Roommate and I are engaged in an epic battle. It is us (good) versus CreePaul (evil). Territory in question? The house air conditioning.

When it is 90 degrees outside, entering a 72 degree house is nice. It's a huge drop in temperature. It's refreshingly cold. It hits you right away and makes you happy. In fact, 72 degrees should make you happy when it's 80 degrees outside - or 75, for that matter. Why? Because it also conditions the air. It removes the dreaded DC humidity and makes everything pleasant and lovely.

Then WHY does CreePaul insist on lowering the GD thermostat to SIXTY-FIVE every night? He says that his window is stuck, so he can't open it at night, and therefore needs it to be colder than 72.

To a point, I understand. It's difficult to sleep when it's hot. As a person who has never lived in air conditioning until we moved into THIS place, I admit that I LOVE it. I love it and I want to marry it. As a child in humid Michigan summers, I also am quite aware of how to heighten one's comfort level. My parents enjoyed the outdoors - they hated having the doors and windows closed tightly. My mom could only SEE the birds on the bird feeders. She wanted to hear them as well. But birds retire early - and suddenly it's nighttime and the humidity is still at 90%. So she devised this amazing system drawing hot daytime air out of the house and forcing cool air back in. It worked remarkably well. We still resorted to wet t-shirts and fans on some of those over-the-top hot days, but all in all, I think it worked out just fine.

HOWEVER.

He sleeps in flannel pajama pants. He might have two blankets on his bed for all I know (luckily, I do not. Because, ew). I think that I might have a solution... I don't know, wear a t-shirt and shorts to bed? I KNOW that this sounds radical, and it may only be an unproved hypothesis, but clothing and layers are designed to keep heat closer to the body, right? Hmmm...

But Awesome Roommate hasn't said anything, and since I avoid him like the plague, there is really no way to explain to him this theory, this idea. I think that it's worth a try, but what do I know?

So this is what happens. It's like we're in elementary school, I swear. He turns the air conditioning down, Awesome Roommate turns it back up. He turns it down, I turn it up. I AM NOT JOKING.

Of course, this all started last week, when Awesome Roommate informed us that the electric bill, $41 in May, was $106. What?!!??!?

Yeah, so we're children. But it is kind of fun.

Hee! He just turned the temp down again. Gotta go!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should buy him a fan. My college roommate ended up buying a fan after we battled over the a/c.

Anonymous said...

Or grow up and talk to him like an adult ...

Heather said...

You know, I always know what to expect when I see an "anonymous" post. Thanks for your comment, I'll be sure to take it into account.

JLR said...

Oh, that is hilarious. I love roommate wars! I used to have a roommate that would fight with me like that, but it was over the lights, when we lived in the dorm. I'd open the blinds, but if I went to the bathroom, they'd be closed when I came out. So I'd open them. Lather, rinse, repeat. We never said a word to each about it.

You keep it up. Your response to anonymous was perfect. Seriously, if someone is passive agressive (which he obviously is) or a tool (ditto), then talking to him "like an adult" won't work.

Plus, it takes away all the fun.