Thursday, April 16, 2009

Supernatural

The first three discs of Supernatural had been languishing next to my television for over a month. Due to an increasingly unhealthy, inexplicable obsession with watching Twilight over and over and over (and over and over) again, my brain slowly dissolved and washed away in the shower, thus leaving me even MORE vulnerable to sparkly vampires. Mike was getting worried about me, too. And I can't be positive, but I do wonder if watching so much teenage angst has contributed to my latest bout of depression (I mean, it could be the looming end date of my current job, but it could also be the angst. THERE IS JUST NO WAY TO KNOW.)

"Sparkles are addictive, it seems."

In a bid to be happier and less emo, I decided that it was time to stop pissing away money by letting my subscription go to shit and popped in the first disc of Supernatural.

"Hello. We are delicious."

Sam (the delicious Jared Padalecki from Gilmore Girls) and Dean (the even more delicious Jensen Ackles from... um, lots of shows on the WB?), are brothers. Their mother's death 22 years earlier left them to be raised by their father. But he's suddenly disappeared and the two team up to find him.

The opening scene shows us what happened on the night of their mother's death, but all the viewer can ascertain is that it was an unnatural death. A supernatural death, if you will.

The boys' father makes it his mission to find the cause of their mother's death, and along the way becomes a hunter of demons and other such beasties... (or maybe he already was a hunter? I don't know, I'm only 16 episodes in).

Fast forward to present day. Sam is finishing up his undergraduate career at Stanford, with law school on the horizon. Who shows up to ruin all of the fun? Dean. Apparently, Dear Old Dad has gone missing, and they know that it's something... supernatural. Sam reluctantly joins Dean (he didn't have a happy parting with his father, you see), solves an urban legend, destroys a ghostie, and returns back to Stanford and his girlfriend, Jess.

And then, well... it's not good. Sam then joins Dean on the road, and we get our show.

"At least it's sunny today."

The show is fantastic. I was a fan of Buffy, and now I am a fan of Supernatural. They have similarities, of course, with subject matter, but they also share some ingenuity. Like Buffy, almost entire episodes are set at night, leaving me to close the blinds to be able to actually see the screen. Which makes the whole experience even creepier. Which makes me more skittish. Which is awesome.

But, just like most shows on the WB/CW, it has the potential for a high cheese factor. While it definitely has its silly language and those wonderfully cheesy moments, Supernatural also has something else: it's actually really scary. The brothers investigate all manner of phenomena, from the wendigo and the woman in white, to haunted asylums and Bloody Mary, and I slept with the lights on one night. Yeah, I'm a wuss, but I love to be scared.

The acting is very good, though at times a little over the top (but really, can you expect anything less from the WB/CW? Scenery-chewing is written into the script!).

I love the interactions between Sam and Dean - two brothers raised to fight evil, yet with conflicting ideas about life. They have a great, dare I say, chemistry between them, and the viewer believes in them and in their story.

Plus, they travel the country in a '67 Impala, which is pretty badass.

"Something... supernatural is going on here."

I'm at the same point now that I was when I was caught up with Veronica Mars - I won't get the next Netflix disc until Tuesday, and I'm considering hitting up the library to avoid a long break between episodes.

2 comments:

gabe said...

I love this show! It's scary, but there's also lots of stuff that's just weird or funny. The drama can definitely get a little over the top, tho.

Heather said...

gabe - It's freaking sweet! I'm a few episodes into season 2 and it's getting better and better.