Monday, April 27, 2009

Head On! Punch Me Directly in the Forehead!

Last night, I had the worst migraine of my life and called Em for advice. Should I go to the hospital? Should I double up on drugs? Should I waste myself and be done with it? I was terrified and I honestly thought that my head was going to explode. I was nauseous and seeing spots and my extra strength prescription migraine pill was seemingly worthless.

Em's been battling migraines since she was a teenager and is my go-to guru every time a particularly bad one invades my life. She thought that I should wait on the hospital visit (she waits for a migraine to torment her for TWELVE HOURS before she eventually goes to the ER, which just confirms my belief that she's the toughest girl I've ever known. Especially since, once at the ER, she gets a shot. And since I do not enjoy needles, I wanted to avoid the hospital at all costs), and that I should take Mike up on his offer of a vicodin. And since I am the wussiest wuss who ever wussed, I was too nervous to take someone else's pain medication, and turned them both down.

So Em suggested that Mike run to the drugstore for Head On. You've seen the commercial:



Easily the most irritating commercial to ever hit the airwaves,
oh my freaking God.

And I hate to admit it, but the combination of my migraine pill, the Excedrin migraine, and the Head On Apply Directly to the Forehead... worked. The Head On was menthol-y smelling and cooling, and it seemed to take my attention away from my pounding head. I finally fell asleep. When I awoke at 5 or 6 in the morning, the migraine was gone completely.

I don't know how to explain it, but I don't just feel fine. The absence of that horrible, throbbing pain is impossible to describe, and now that it's gone it's not like I am back to normal. I'm better than normal. But absolutely terrified of the next time...

3 comments:

Deals On Wheels said...

Sometimes I have to take three Frovas to get rid of a migraine, and even then the pain isn't always 100% gone. Migraines suck. Frova - at over $10 a PILL - sucks too.

Glad your head is feeling better! Who knew HEAD ON actually worked?!

Em said...

Head On is AMAZING! Who knew! :)

Heather said...

deals - I'm not trying to one-up you or anything, but the medication my doctor has me on? $26 a pill. My insurance won't cover it (or anything, really), so my doctor gives me whatever samples they have at the office. It's great, except that I am so careful with those pills that I never take them soon enough when I have a migraine because I am afraid of letting them go to waste. With these damn things, if you don't take them as soon as possible, they aren't as effective. It freaking sucks.

em - I certainly would never have tried it if you hadn't told me to. And if it had been hawked by that Sham Wow guy, I probably would have laughed at you and then hung up.

(I would never hang up on you.)