Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Thorofare

This is the story of the best prank I ever pulled. And Liza? This one's for you.

Like most teenagers, my friends and I were constantly bored. There was never much to do on a Friday or Saturday night besides sit in a basement somewhere and watch SNL, and so we were forced to get... creative (of course, we did do our fair share of house TPing and it's possible that we may have stolen more than a few election signs and then placed them all on one lawn. But that is a rumor that has absolutely no substance).

We went to Denny's often, screwed around at Meijer, and hit up coffee houses, but it was when we drove to the surrounding cities that things finally got exciting.

Like most areas, I assume, the suburbs of Detroit had their share of urban legends. At this point, I'm not sure which ones we heard and which ones we concocted on our own.

There was the "Reflector House" in Romulus, where some nutjob had placed reflectors of all sizes on his house, trees, and garage. He lived at the end of a dead end street, and trapped us there once when one moron in our group attempted to steal one of his beloved reflectors. He had a shotgun, and I honestly thought that we were going to end up in jail.

There was the "Pink Castle," located on a winding drive in New Boston. Pink bricked and ivy-covered, it was placed far from the road and surrounded by a stone wall. The driveway was blocked by a chained wrought-iron gate, and across the top letters spelled out "BUENOS..." something. I think that the legend had something to do with kids being killed in the field between the house and the stone wall, but I can't really remember. We used to dare people to touch the gate, and the driver would pretend to take off.

God, we were stupid.

And then there was the "Red Driveway House" in Wyandotte. The story: a father accidentally ran over his daughter in the driveway, and painted it red to cover up the bloodstains. They posed a child-sized doll in the front window and changed her clothes daily. Who knows if the story was true, but the driveway was red brick, and there was a ridiculously creepy doll posed in the window.

Finally, there was Grosse Ile, a small island in the Detroit River. Its residents are wealthy and their houses rival those on Lake Shore Drive. Traveling to Grosse Ile was almost like going to another world. There were no McDonald's and no Best Buys - standard fare for those of us accustomed to strip malls and fast food. Instead, there were small grocery stores and mom and pop restaurants.

The road dissecting the north side of the island from the south is called Thorofare Road. And this is where our story begins.

We had heard/concocted a story about Thorofare - namely that someone had been hung from a low branch at a fork in the road. With the headlights turned off, we used to slowly drive by that spot, waiting for something to happen. Someone always claimed to have seen something in the woods, but even on a winter night, with snow blanketing everything, there was just nothing to see. It was creepy as hell, of course, but nothing more.

I really don't know how it got started, but we devised a plan, sitting in Kelly's boyfriend's kitchen, thinking that we were going to scare the pee out of our friends. Chad would be hidden in the very back of my mom's minivan, behind the bench seat. When we got to Thorofare, I would stop the car with the excuse that the back hatch door was ajar. When I opened it, he would drop out of the back of the car and hide on the side of the road.

This all happened seamlessly.

I closed the hatch, got back in the driver's seat, and slowly started to drive. Chad, dressed all in black, waited on the side of the road. Kelly, sitting by the sliding door, called for me to stop the car. Chad had been throwing firecrackers for the past few minutes, and even though everyone in the car was predictably freaked at this point, I stopped the car. Kelly got out, and after a few tense seconds, was promptly snatched by Chad. And I? Drove away.

Looking back, I'm not sure why I drove away, but it seemed like a good move at the time. Liza and Rita were freaking out, and wouldn't listen when I tried to explain the prank. Even when I turned around and found Kelly and Chad by the fork on the side of the road, they were still slightly hysterical. I don't think that Rita talked to either of us for a few days.

For what it's worth, it was a pretty rotten trick, and I'm sorry about that. I'm pretty sure that our friends forgave us, but the closest I ever got to pulling any sort of prank again was in college when I helped stuff popcorn between someone's door and newspaper taped across the door frame. Lame, I know.

But we did have fun together - me, Kelly, Rita, Liza, and Julianne. Remind me to tell you about camping at Pontiac Lake sometime...

19 comments:

Liza said...

Awww...Heather! I totally remember you all doing this to us! Awesome trick! I wish I could have been on the other end, but I have told this story to many others over the past couple of years. Now, when I tell it, it is COMPLETELY hilarious. Then, I was about two seconds from peeing myself with fear!

We did have a lot of fun together! I miss those times! :)

Can't wait until the Pontiac Lake blog...racoons and vandals! HAHAHA!

Em said...

So funny you should mention this story... I remember hearing of this and peeing myself... :) Anyways... on Easter Sunday Tim's parents joined us in the Gate for dinner at mom's. Tim is IN LOVE with the "Island" so we had to take them there.... we drove past Thorofare and I told them all about the "haunted road" and all the stupid stuff we did as kids. Gosh were we AWESOME or what!
Also, you forgot to mention cruising Eureka... and donuts in the Suburban! Good times Downriver.

Heather said...

liza - Well I'm glad that we didn't traumatize you for life, because that would probably assure my ticket to hell. Oh man, though - the camping trip. "I wasn't scared until I felt the hands!"

em - OMG, Tim probably thinks that we are such spazzes.

Anonymous said...

The Pink castle... http://binged.it/t4XhXT

Wish I could find out the truth regarding what it is.

Anonymous said...

The Pink castle... http://binged.it/t4XhXT

Wish I could find out the truth regarding what it is.

Heather said...

anony - That is awesome, and more than slightly scary. The aerial shot makes it even creepier - if that's possible.

Unknown said...

This is great Heather! Great memories! Makes me miss Michigan!

Darla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darla said...

I am interested in finding out more about the pink castle the Buena Vista. As a child I played inside the castle but I revisited New Boston last week 40 plus years later and my sister tellast me that it was off limits and if I played there my parents were unaware of it. Weird...

Unknown said...

There is a pink castle in new boston, but the people are super crazy and call the cops for everything. My truck got stuck in the ditch while i was shinning the field across the street. They called the cops.

Unknown said...

There is a pink castle in new boston, but the people are super crazy and call the cops for everything. My truck got stuck in the ditch while i was shinning the field across the street. They called the cops.

Anonymous said...

Do you have a street name? Me and my buddies have been trying to find it forever after we went one time.

Anonymous said...

end of Judd rd. New Boston

Sara said...

So the reason the cops were called was because the woman who lives here was scared. I live in the 'pink castle' on Judd rd in New Boston Michigan for the time being and I am looking for real history on this house, not what people have made up. Also, it's not haunted I sleep here every night in the dark and my family is just fine. Please do not come here and disturb our peaceful place or the woman who has lived here her entire life. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know where the reflector house is? Is it still there? Does anyone remember a house around those that had two little ceasers signs at the end of their driveway?

Jeremy ~Musical Ninja~ said...

I stumbled across this blog after searching for a MI urban legend which inspired a recent work of fiction and I feel like I was in that car with you lol. We would go to the bird sanctuary on Grosse Ile all the time looking for any sign of the hanging victim. A few of us nearly spent the night in jail on our quest for locating the pink castle.

I lived in Wyandotte and I still remember walking by the red driveway and learning the legend about it when I was young. (Incidentally, I heard that the couple who lived there didn't actually have a daughter--they were just weird).

If you can, check out Wailing Maidens of Sister Ilse in Wyandotte folklore as well. There were a few more in this area that escape me, but it's one of the fondest memories I have of the surrounding areas.

Anonymous said...

I hope people leave you alone.

Anonymous said...

I used to work for the family that lived there I no alot...

Anonymous said...

As far as haunted it's more in the basement