Wednesday, July 18, 2007

My Predictions (or, I Am a Huge Nerd)


The Lady teaches fifth grade, and so had already been on the Harry Potter bandwagon for a few years. She had been trying desperately to get me to read them, and I kept blowing her off. One summer, during my college years, we were camping near Jackson, MI. I had forgotten to bring something to read and she confidently handed me Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (she had the first two books in the car - to bully me into reading? I don't know...)

By nightfall, I had completely devoured it and had started on Chamber of Secrets. Eventually I ran out of light, and had to sit my ass just inches from the campfire so I could make out the text.

Yes, I am awesome.

This series has always been a classic tale of good versus evil. It closely follows the monomyth (or Hero Myth) formula, and in this pattern, the hero does not die. He is tempted to quit, considers the "dark side," and hates his life at times, but eventually comes to accept his fate.

I am actually going to be waiting in line on Friday night, BECAUSE I AM JUST THAT AWESOME, and Amanda will be joining me. I'm not sure if she agreed to accompany me because of the drinks we'll be getting beforehand or the fact that she gets to borrow it when I'm done, but either way, I'm glad!

I mean, it's not like I'm dressing up or something (I'm really not). But I will take pictures of anyone who does! So if you're planning on being in costume at the Borders at Metro Center... beware!

I recently had an hour-long conversation with my dad about the series, and asked him if he could remember anything like this phenomenon in his lifetime. He mentioned getting excited about reading the Narnia books, and read them one after another, but they had been published a few years before he was old enough to read them, so he never had to wait for the next book. Plus, advertising certainly wasn't what it is now. When you add in the popularity of the films, in his opinion, nothing like this has ever happened before.

And it's over a book, people. A book!

The Harry Potter series is accessible, enjoyable, and teaches good lessons. This series got my teenage brother to put down Maxim (well, for a little while, anyway). This series got kids excited about reading again, and once they finished the series, they moved on to other books (His Dark Materials trilogy, anyone? OMG READ THEM). This series paved the way for similar books.

This series has captivated so many.

It's sad that it's coming to an end, but it's far from over. Like Narnia, kids will be reading this series forever. And they'll be better off for it! (Grumble, grumble, walking to school uphill both ways...)

So. Anyway. My predictions for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:

1. Harry will live, but not after considering a move to the dark side. He will defeat Voldemort after the tragic death of a mentor and friend (Hagrid).

2. Ron and Hermione will live... and live happily ever after together.

3. Hagrid, Snape, Wormtail, and Lucius Malfoy will die. And some OOTP members and Death Eaters for good measure. And, unfortunately, a member of the Weasley family.

4. Snape is GOOD and will sacrifice himself for Harry.

5. I will cry.

I can't wait.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

wrong on both counts, i'm going for the free magical wand.

Heather said...

Of course you want the wizardly wand. Heh. Hehehehe.

Anonymous said...

1. Harry will die. Just you wait! (Actually I think he probably won't die, but should.)

2. Agreed.

3. Snape won't die. I think Harry will end up saving him. I think it has to be one of the twins that dies in the Weasley family. We're attached enough to them that we'll be really sad, but not devasted like if Ron died. And we're too detached from the older brothers.

4. See point above. I agree that Harry will finally see that Snape is good, which is why HARRY will sacrifice himself for Snape.

5. Agreed. You will cry like a baby.

These predictions are going to be so funny when it turns out we are both waaay off.

Anonymous said...

my thoughts, in response to yours:

1. i'm not entirely convinced he'll live, but probably. and although you'd *think* he'd consider moving to the dark side, i just can't see jkr making that very convincing, at least not in one book. sure, he's been a bit angry in past books, and dappled with the "half-blood prince's" dark spells, but it would be just too big of a leap to make in 800 pages or whatever, and then come back full-circle. so that will be interesting to see... also, although i agree w/the part about defeating v after the tragic death of a mentor and friend, i think that part's already been fulfilled by the deaths of sirius and dumbledore. plus hagrid's not exactly a mentor. i think hagrid will live.

2. i agree they'll live, but i don't think they'll get married. i don't know who told me that there was going to be two deaths and a wedding, but as far as the wedding goes, it'll either be the obvious fleur and bill (or is it charlie, i forget), since that's already been set up by the last book, or it will be hagrid and what's-her-name.

3. i think you're right, and i'll take it one step further by saying that both mr. and mrs. weasly will die. but not lupin. and no, i don't entirely have a reason for that, except that there's so many weasly's, so i think the parents would have to die to make way for the next generation...

4. yep, i think you're right on.

and i'm very interested to see what's going to happen w/malfoy...

Heather said...

lem - I think that Rowling is going to leave the young generation alone. It's been mentioned time and again that "this is your time now," meaning that it's Harry's turn, and that of his friends, to move into the spotlight.

I like the theory about Harry sacrificing himself for Snape, though. That's something that a hero would do... But I think that Snape is a hero as well...

You're right though - we're all probably so far off. I don't care though!

Heather said...

a - You're right about Harry flirting with the dark side. It's already been done. He's questioned it and then fought against it. And there simply isn't enough time to fit it in!

I really do think that Hagrid will die, though. And I bet both of the Weasley parents die, too.

And Malfoy! Is he going to repent, or remain a huge jerk? His parents were evil through and through, though his mother loved him enough to involve Snape in the unbreakable vow...

It's chilling!

Anonymous said...

I think there's a good possibility that Neville could die since he's been carried through all the books as a main character. He also had his parents hurt by Voldemort (or his followers) and has just as much reason as Harry to seek revenge.

I agree that Snape will (should) die.

Anonymous said...

Snape - not going to die.

I heard a rumor that 6 will die. Who can it be? I am so excited!

I don't think it will be believable for Malfoy to repent.

How come A's bf hasn't joined the discussion? I seem to recall him having opinions on the other books.

Anonymous said...

wow, how wrong was i? you know what i kept wondering? when the hell is neville going to surface? i couldn't believe that she would just leave him out. i guess i should just trust that she always has a plan.

Carrie M said...

wow. color me impressed with your predictions!!

Heather said...

carrie - I got some right, but I have to say... I'm glad that Hagrid didn't die!

lem - I'm glad that Neville had a glory moment. He deserved it!