Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Free Food Day

Oh man, can I just tell you about yesterday? Can I?

I was up ON TIME. I made myself a Full English Breakfast (minus the meat products). I was at work two minutes EARLY.

KEEP IN MIND that this was a Monday.

I was extremely productive in checking my email and responding to the multitude of twats who have no idea who they are emailing and are either asking for money or offering "enlargement creams," whatever the hell that means. I even did a few very important things, because I am very busy and important.

And yes, it was then time for the Smithsonian Folklife Festival Staff Picnic! Yay! Each year, the lowly staff members are given a limited number of tickets to purchase overpriced food from the Folklife Festival vendors. This year, we had the choice of recipes from Virginia, Northern Ireland, and the Mekong River. It's Free Food Day in all its glory, but we always make sure not to get too excited...

For once, the food options looked great at all three places. After very little debate, I got myself shepherd's pie and an iced tea (I love shepherd's pie. Good lord). The cost? $12. Well, $12 in food vouchers. Gah.

The Folklife Festival laughs at your attempts to save money!

Though a small portion, it was delicious and quite filling for me, but that... doesn't say much. My appetite is not really indicative of the rest of the population. Even so, three minutes later? We were hungry again.

We strolled down the Mall to the Virginia eatery place. We waited in line for twenty minutes (you should see my lovely sunburned shoulders) for the strawberry shortcake dessert, and just when we were about to order, it was announced that they had run out.

Balls.

So we walked back to the Northern Ireland tent to get the vanilla ice cream with Bailey's (we'd been calling it boozy ice cream since we saw it on the menu, and I'm really not sure why it wasn't our first choice), and they ran out as well. No boozy ice cream! Boo!

So I got a Guinness. At 1:30 p.m. On a Monday.

The world's best employee.
Brilliant!


It was sooooooo gooooooood. I don't drink Guinness often because it's a freaking meal for me and my minuscule stomach, but oh! was it nice. Ohhhhhhhh.

We sat in the tent area (I wasn't allowed to leave the area with my evil liquid contraband). And then I realized that it was 3:00 and I had been down on the Mall since nooner. Amazing. Like I said -- the world's best employee.

I hauled ass back to work, and... I don't know if time flew or if I passed out from my liquid lunch, but all of a sudden it was time to go hang out with Merrick!

Twas a very good day.

6 comments:

Waayers said...

Aw, I wish I still worked at SI so I could get free food!

P.S. Your dress is ADORABLE! Is that one of your new purchases?

Waayers said...

P.P.S. I just clicked on the link for full English breakfast and learned what black pudding is. I almost threw up.

Heather said...

waayers - Thanks! It IS one of my new dresses. Thank you, Forever Slutty! And thanks to the whore who tore off the price tag!

And yes, black pudding is vomitastic. My English breakfasts only include toast, one egg, fried grape tomatoes, and baked beans. Because that's enough for me!

Unknown said...

thanks for the invite asshole!

Anonymous said...

Wait, they had Guinness at the Folklife Festival? Damn it! I knew I should have jumped on the free tickets I was offered!

Heather said...

steezy - Sorry, dude! I suck.

lem - yes, and they still have Guinness. Wednesday - Saturday. And pints are $5, so it's pretty much the same as going to the bar!