Thursday, June 02, 2011

June 2nd

Four years ago today, I met the love of my life.

I was in Michigan for my niece's 2nd birthday party, and Kelly invited me to her condo to hang out a bit. We were planning on driving into Detroit to watch the Piston's playoff game at a bar, but instead went to one of her friend's houses - a guy named Mike who had a condo in the same development. He was a gracious host and even helped me at euchre - the first time I had played in over a year.

By the end of the night, I knew that something was there. There were sparks.

On the walk back to Kelly's, Mike called her and asked if we didn't want to stay a little longer. Not wanting to look too desperate, we made plans for breakfast the next morning.

After breakfast, we went to Ann Arbor to visit my old museum, and on the way home, Kelly devised a plan to get the two of us alone. It was pretty lame, actually - something about watching episodes of Family Guy.

Thing is, we really only watched one episode. We talked and talked and gradually learned about one another. What really drew me to him were the similarities in our upbringings and our shared values.

And his eyes. Oh my gosh, his eyes.

Before long, I had to leave - my flight was at 7:00 that evening. It was amazingly bittersweet. I honestly knew that I had met the love of my life, and I now had to fly 500 miles away from him. I drove to my parents' house, packed my things in their car, and my dad dropped me off at Detroit Metro Airport.

As I approached the U.S. Airways area, I knew that something was wrong. There were far too many people, and many looked angry. I soon discovered - my flight had been canceled!

I had never had a canceled flight before. Then again, I had never flown U.S. Airways before. Connection? In any other circumstance I would have been irate. But I was absolutely giddy.

I texted Mike, I called my Dad, and before I knew it, I was on my way back to Mike's.

We stayed up way past midnight talking and sharing stories, and neither of us were able to sleep very well. I had to be up at 4 to get to the airport for my re-booked flight at 6:00. When I left, he walked me to the car and we had our first kiss as the rain was drizzling down.

I moved back to Michigan five months later. And I am happier than I ever thought possible.



Anonymous said...

Awe....I love you too baby!

Mary said...

What a nice story Heather! Thanks for sharing it. We are very lucky that you came into our life! Congratulations on 4 years!

Heather said...

anony - :)

mary - Thank you!