Thursday, July 02, 2009

Improvisation

I stapled my pants today.

They're not my favorite pants, by far, but I wasn't feeling too ambitious this morning and the iron stayed on the shelf. My friend Hallie likes these particular pants, and compliments them every time I wear them, but to me they are just the too-long pants I got on sale at the Gap Outlet that I only really wear when I'm super lazy and/or feeling like fat camp.

They're too long even though I got them hemmed at this little place in Alexandria directly below Merrick and Gerald's apartment, but I was wearing Merrick's shoes at the time and not my own, and everything obviously went tits up.

And also? They're wool. "Wool in July?" is something that you might ask yourself. Yes, wool in July, because the weather is inexplicably cool and rainy. (I'm about done with the bipolar weather around here, but I will always take cool over hot and humid. Blergh.)

Anyway, as I walked down the hallway at work, I noticed that I was treading on the hem of the pants. Who knew that the stray thread I trimmed that morning was integral to the performance of the pants? I was just trying to catch my bus.

Asking around the office, no one had a safety pin - even the woman who has practically everything in her purse, including a spare pair of socks and her passport. I tried paperclips, but couldn't find any non-scary options. It was then that I spied... the stapler.

It worked, the staples blend in with the fabric, and I don't feel like a beggar child. And I'm proud of myself for thinking in a new way.

Approves.

4 comments:

RR said...

And I, who loves MacGyver and cannot sew, also approve.

Heather said...

rr - I could sew them by hand if I really wanted to, but I don't really want to.

Unknown said...

Hey am I the woman who has practically everything in her purse?

Heather said...

Jill - Yes. Yes you are. Although, I don't remember if you had your passport or not. It just sounded cool. I do remember the socks, though.