Sunday, July 12, 2009

Kitchen Confidential

In "Heather uses Netflix to watch a sweet show" news, I watched Kitchen Confidential - an awesome show that only managed to get thirteen episodes before cancellation by Fox. Of course.

We are a very attractive cast.

Based on a book of the same name by Anthony Bourdain, a guy with whom I would love to drink heavily, though I'm sure that he would just insult me, Kitchen Confidential follows the ups and downs of an executive chef in NYC, Jack Bourdain (subtle, no?) - played by Bradley Cooper (love!).

(As an aside, Bourdain blogged about the various Food Network personalities a while back and it's completely spot-on.)

Jack's career has suffered dramatically the past few years due to an excess of women, booze, and cocaine. Fired from job after job, he's stuck cooking in a chain-like establishment with a set menu and no room for his expertise.

Miraculously, he gets a call to start up a new restaurant from scratch, and he calls up past associates to get in on the opportunity. (Past associates include sous chef Steven (Owain Yeoman - oh holy Jesus look at him), pastry chef Seth (Nicholas Brendon, expertly cast), and fish guy Teddy (John Cho, who is absolutely hilarious in every scene).

Next, add to the ensemble Bonnie Somerville, mix in Jaime King, and sprinkle a little John Francis Daley (Waiting), and you've cooked up a great cast. (See what I did there?)

But the cast alone isn't the best part - it's the writing. It's crisp and quick, and it really focuses on what it's like to work in a high-end restaurant. I love this behind-the-scenes look at an industry of which I know very little, and it's not too heavy. It's fun to watch!

Next up? Twin Peaks.

4 comments:

Sunny said...

Oooh, I am dying to watch Twin Peaks. I can't seem to bring Disc 1 to the top of our Netflix though... there always seems to be something better (read: retarded and not funny) that I want to watch first.

Did I mention Twin Peaks was filmed not too far from Seattle? There are two mountain peaks, hence the title: Twin Peaks.

Don't tell me what happens!

Heather said...

sunny - Oh my gosh, I'm hooked. One and a half episodes in, and I can't wait to get back to it. Of course, that means working around whatever sports event your brother is watching at the moment, as he refuses to watch it with me (I do admit that the late-80s, early 90s fashion and hair is pretty atrocious).

lem said...

I used to watch Twin Peaks. Yep, back when it was a new show. Thanks dad.

Heather said...

lem - I am through the pilot, and then episodes 1-4. SO quirky, SO weird, SO awesome.