Monday, July 06, 2009

Care Bear Stare!

If you were a child of the eighties, you probably remember The Care Bears. I had the one with the smiley face sun, I think. I don't know. I was pretty much a one bear kind of girl. Anyway, along with The Gummy Bears, Rainbow Brite, TMNT, and G.I Motherfucking Joe, the Care Bears ruled Saturday morning.

BUT. Do you remember The Care Bears MOVIE? It was... something else. I remember that it TERRIFIED me, but not much else. There was an evil book and that whole plotline made me mad because books weren't evil - they were good! But then the book bitch got squeezed to death (if I remember correctly) and all was well in the land of caring.

Turns out, someone wrote a review of it the other day, seeing it with new - possibly baked - eyes, and it's pretty damn funny. Eric's Bad Movies: The Care Bears Movie (1985).

"Our chest rays will heal you all!"

(Of course, in my opinion, the second movie, Care Bears Movie II: Electric Boogaloo was far superior, what with the scary summer camp theme. And though the Caring Cousins were totally lame, that Dark Heart psycho was fucking awesome.)

4 comments:

Sunny said...

YES! I remember that movie! It scared the living crap out of me when I was little.

I am still traumatized from that, the Garfield Halloween special, and the episode of Webster where he goes in a secret passageway in a grandfather clock and finds a hidden room with an empty rocking chair (which is rocking, for extra scary effect).

Thanks for bring it up.

Lauren said...

I was obsessed with those movies! The second one was definitely scary. Remember when that one boy at camp was evil then with the care-bear friend chant or something like that they turned him into a nice boy? Oh I loved the 80s.

I may or may not have had several Care Bear and Popple stuffed animals when I was little...

Sarah said...

Lizzie is obsessed with Care Bears right now. This may or may not be because I showed her my DVD copies of the episodes and movies. It resulted in a long hunt for "THE PINK ONE!" (she meant Baby Hugs) for her birthday.

Also, I miss you!! :(

Heather said...

sunny - I wasn't a Webster fan, but that sounds horrifying! But it also reminds me of that Babysitters Club book where Dawn finds the secret passage in her house to the barn. Which was awesome.

lauren - OMG, Popples! I had one and I loved it! Aw, I wonder where that is...

sarah - Sounds like a good phase, though! What about Rainbow Brite? Also, I miss you, too!