Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Stranger Than Fiction

I love Will Ferrell, no matter how over-the-top he can be, so I knew that I'd be seeing Stranger Than Fiction at some point. I was so very pleasantly surprised with this film. I mean, I had read a few reviews (all glowing), but I thought that Bewitched looked promising, too, so who knows.

I heard an interview (on NPR? I can't remember) with Will Ferrell a bit ago, as he was doing press for this film. He was humbled to be included in a cast that boasted Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson and was more than a little star-struck. Rightfully so. However... His performance as Harold Crick completely erased all doubts that he could play a dramatic role. He was amazing - his facial expressions alone were a far cry from the animated characters for which he is so well known.


Harold is a pretty normal guy. He's an IRS auditor who lives his life in a very mundane, counting-every-toothbrush stroke kind of way. He's a genuinely nice guy, but he's kind of... well, boring. Until the morning he wakes up and hears his life in narration. In his head. A voice no one else can hear. And yet, it's surprisingly accurate.


Emma Thompson is Kay Eiffel, a reclusive author suffering from writer's block. Thompson - easily one of the best actors EVER (her performance in Love Actually should be more than enough of an example to back up this statement) - surprises no one with her magical performance in Stranger.

And Dustin Hoffman. A literary theorist and professor. Amazing. Harold pleads for his help.


Maggie Gyllenhaal was absolutely perfect as an anarchist baker, and the bit part of Dave, Harold's work friend, brought Tony Hale (Arrested Development) to the screen. Love.

That's all I really want to say for I fear giving away anything.
This film was delicate, humorous, and deeply touching. Though a little slow at times, it never dragged. Instead, I eagerly awaited each scene. The literary allusions and originality in this film made it so very worth while. While Hollywood continues to produce mediocre remakes, this film was fresh and good. I loved it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish the Will Ferrell was my baby daddy.