Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Buh-Bye, My Beloved Coolpix

My poor baby Coolpix is gone, never to return. There was something wrong with the screen and resolution (or whatever), but it didn't bother me all that much. It definitely sucked when you were forced to tilt the damn thing forty-five degrees in order to see anything on the screen. But the pictures downloaded all nice-like, so I didn't think much of it. But after the Outer Banks trip and the inability to actually see any of the beach shots, I'd reached the edge of my comfort zone.

I went to Best Buy and conversed with a member of the Geek Squad. Seriously, what a geek! And they actually make them wear the white shirt and black tie. Hilarity. But the geek knew what he was doing, and they sent my camera to Cali for service. Right. Service.

I just found out that it's not coming back. They couldn't fix it, so I have to get a new one. Problem? They don't make that model anymore. So I've been trying to choose between a few in the same price range - they're pretty much exactly the same camera with a different brand name. Oh, and some are silver while others are charcoal. I couldn't care less if it was puce -- I just want a new one!

I am leaning toward the Panasonic Lumix. It's small, thin, and extremely sexy. It can fit in my back pocket. It's adorable. So on Saturday, as the turkey is roasting away, I am trekking to Bailey's Crossroads to pick one out.

I'll tell you though... it's been difficult not having a camera for almost two weeks. I got so used to having it with me, that I would get really disappointed when there was a super sweet photo-op and I couldn't capture it. I was walking to the metro one morning, and there were four baby sparrows lined up on this little fence. They were perfectly spaced and all turned the exact same way, except for one - the "slow" one, probably. As I approached, they DID NOT MOVE. They looked at me and did nothing. A perfect shot. And I didn't get it. But I see those same little birds every morning, and I just have to smile. Because they are just SO DAMN CUTE.

Maybe they'll pose for me when my new camera arrives (if I ever decide which one I want).

No comments: