Thursday, August 31, 2006

Are. You. Kidding. Me?

I arrived at work this morning, happy that it was the last day of the work week for me (gotta love the flex schedule!), and ready to make the hours pass as quickly as possible. If that meant doing real, actual work, then I was up for it. All I needed was something to eat.

I bought a sesame seed bagel (
yum-o) from Au Bon Pain on the way to work yesterday, fully intending to eat it, and just never did. I left it on my desk last night, wrapped up and taped closed -- to secure the freshest taste possible in a day-old bagel -- and placed it in front of my monitor. It wasn't smack dab in the middle of my desk, or on my chair, or on the keyboard... just slightly hidden away.

I got to work at 8:00, as usual, but forgot about the bagel until after my first cup of green tea. I reached for it...


I know what you're thinking: It was gone! Someone took The Donut's bagel! The nerve! The audacity! The asshattery!


Close.


Someone took HALF of my bagel. HALF.


And then? He/she/they wrapped it back up, retaped it, and replaced it to its original location. What. The. Fuck.


My best guess is that it was a member of the cleaning crew, but who knows! I considered leaving a note, but decided against it. It started out, "To Whomever Ate My Bagel: Did you think that I wouldn't notice?"


Am I going to have to lock my bagel in my desk next time? Argh.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay, if you have the day off work today, why in the world are you AWAKE at 7:20 in the morning right now? and after i just got an email from you seven hours ago?! :P

Heather said...

I know... Because my poor body is used to getting NO sleep lately. Don't worry - I'm crawling back to bed shortly. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. You should have left an angry Ross-like note. Then maybe they would make you take a sabbatical.

Heather said...

You ate MY sandwich? MY SANDWICH?

Hahahaha!

Serously, though -- who DOES that?

Anonymous said...

Eww, I hope you didn't eat the half. Who knows where their hand has been? Although possibly it was bagel gnomes who snuck in in the middle of the night fo ra snack.

Heather said...

Yeah, I threw it out immediately. Well, immediately after parading it to my boss's office to show her. This led to a full office discussion about how things end up disappearing all of the time now that the cleaning staff only cleans after hours. Apparently, they used to find lipstick marks on juice containers in the fridge, and one of my coworkers had lunchmeat stolen!