Tuesday, February 01, 2005

This is work? Ugh.

So this is what it's like to have a real job. Interesting... But ohhhhhh, I am so busy! (Yet apparently not too busy to write this). I'm all about the promotion and the added responsibilities, sure. I'm even okay with the lack of any monetary goodies. But sweet Lord, starting a new job while still performing all duties related to the old job while interviewing candidates for the former job is not a good combination. I'm surprised I haven't screwed up too badly yet.

Here was my schedule for this morning:

8:30 - Arrive at work
9:00 - Interview
9:30 - Interview
10:00 - New intern arrives from Gallaudet University
10:30 - Interview

Sooooo, just so we're clear - Gallaudet is a school (an excellent one, at that) for deaf and hard-of-hearing students. So communicating with her went as far as me spelling my name in American Sign Language before I picked up the notepad. Orientation took bloody forever. Though I was impressed with myself that I remembered the alphabet. Throw in all of the interviews (I liked ALL of the candidates, of course) and the fact that I didn't eat anything until about 2 p.m., you've got a very cranky Donut.

About twenty minutes ago, the copier did something very, very bad by eating a bunch of paper and then burning it. I don't know! I don't know how copiers do anything! So now I am getting very, very high on fumes and my stomach is relatively empty. I'm floating. Amazing!

Yet even after this ridiculous day, the few hours of sleep I yoinked last night, and the mound of laundry at home, I told S that I would meet him at Bailey's to cheer on the Fighting Illini. Forget for a moment that he badmouths my beloved Wolverines any chance he gets. I'm going because I am NICE, dammit! Oh I need some Coke.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.snpp.com/guides/yoinks.html

Anonymous said...

Hehe...so funny. So true. All the funnier because I know all of the players (well, except "Awesome Roommate," of course).

Yeah, so I definitely concur with "Not Peaches" and "Awesome Roommate" about the eye thing with "Evil Roommate". I always wondered why "Evil Roommates" eyes never went rapidly from left eye to right eye, like in the movies. It made me feel nervous, so I stared at my feet. I deal with a lot of things by staring at my feet.

Of course, I never stare at my feet when I probably should be staring at my feet. Suddenly, I feel compelled to speak out, which will probably end up costing me dearly down the road. Alas. Maybe that is where the whole foot-in-month concept originated? Feet starers should better utilize their feet by sticking them in their mouth. Thus, making it impossible to speak or do anything remotely controversial. Suddenly it all makes sense...

I think I miss DC. Maybe I'll move back there, and we can correspond by signing the letters of the American Sign Language alphabet over cocktails. That could be fun...

Thus, ends my anonymous response and I return, once more, to the world of the working American. Tired, hungry, cold and waiting for 5 p.m. to roll around.

P.S. Have we ever discussed my irrational fear of Donuts? Yeah. I have one. Even the word D-O-N-U-T bothers me. How about DC Don-ahue or DC Don-ner? Hehe. Toodles.