Saturday, February 05, 2005

Eastern Market

I spent Saturday morning/afternoon at Eastern Market with Betsy, Merrick, and Sarah. It was a gorgeous day - 54 degrees and sunny. We went to Murky, got coffee and sticky buns ("hey, these sticky buns are... sticky"), and sat in the sun. Amazing. It just makes me want to live in Eastern Market even more!

I wanted to browse the used books for hours. What is my obsession, honestly? I have two large bookcases packed with books. In college, I could never sell my books back - what if I needed them? They're like my babies. I can't get rid of them, and every time I cut through the ghetto mall on the way home from work, I always ALWAYS want to go into B. Frickin' Dalton and buy something. I rarely do, mainly because I don't think I'd like to eat books instead of groceries.

And one funny thing about being out of school is that I actually want to read scholarly books. Go figure. I asked for - and received - a biography of William Shakespeare for Christmas. The author is great. I can't believe I'm saying this. What a nerd.

So yeah. Then I went to see Merrick's new apartment. Sooooo jealous. Old 1900s townhouse - original wallpaper, floors, staircase. I'm not a material culture historian, but sweet Lord, was that place awesome. It was perfect except for one thing: no built in bookcases. That, along with a washer/dryer in the unit (obviously), are our two top priorities while house searching. Well, maybe the washer/dryer more than the bookcases - but wouldn't that be cool?

No comments: