Sunday, May 15, 2011

Green Beans with Eggs, Cilantro, and Pine Nuts

My latest issue of Food & Wine magazine had a ton of recipes I wanted to try, but this one was at the top of my list. It's amazing how the different ingredients complement each other. It's traditionally served cold, but I tried it when it was still warm. And it was wonderful.

There were a few alterations to my dish - mostly I omitted the spicy stuff and used pine nuts instead of walnuts. Because I didn't have walnuts.

1 pound green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts

Cook green beans in boiling, salted water for six minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.

Melt the butter into the vegetable oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 7 minutes. Pour in the eggs and scramble over medium heat to your desired done-ness.

Mix the eggs with the beans. Toss with chopped garlic, cilantro, and pine nuts. Serve warm or chilled.

No comments: