Friday, April 04, 2008

Enchanted

Oh my GOSH. I got Disney's Enchanted from Netflix yesterday and it was a perfect movie to watch on such a dreary day.

I am an admitted girly-girl, and I think that if I had to pick my favorite movie of all time, it would be Sleeping Beauty. (Followed closely by Roman Holiday and The Princess Bride.) In our negative world, who doesn't love the idea of living "happily ever after?"

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect from Enchanted, but to be honest, I thought that it was going to be cheesy. I know - this coming from the girl who openly admits her love of animated chick flicks.

Giselle (Amy Adams), about to marry her prince charming, Edward (James Marsden), is cruelly sent to real-life New York City by his evil mother (Susan Sarandon), determined to keep her throne - she'll be forced to step down once he marries, you see. Of course, a sweet, unassuming cartoon princess has no place in mean, nasty NYC, and after climbing out of a sewer, the now human Giselle wanders about the city, confused and scared, searching for the castle.

While sitting in a cab with her father, Robert (Patrick Dempsey), Morgan (Rachel Covey) spots Giselle on a "castle" billboard and rescues her. She seems a bit, well... deranged, so they take her to their fabulous apartment.

But Prince Edward has come to the Big Apple in order to save his bride! Tagging along is the Queen's henchman, Nathaniel (Timothy Spall), and he is up to no good.

What follows is an absolutely delightful take on Disney's classic masterpieces. The majority of the film pulled from Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Snow White, but there are touches of The Sound of Music, The Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast as well. It was so fun to watch!

Then, the music. The music was wonderful, and I can totally see why three different songs were nominated for Academy Awards - they're fun, catchy, unique, and even a little tongue-in-cheek. I have this one in my head, and it won't go away. And I don't care!





Amy Adams is inspired as Giselle, and her singing voice is lovely. James Marsden steals every scene with his over-the-top portrayal as the Prince. Patrick Dempsey is pretty good, but I still think that his best work was in Can't Buy Me Love. Susan Sarandon plays evil quite well. Oh, and Julie Andrews narrates. They weren't fucking around with this one.

5 comments:

Deals On Wheels said...

I haven't seen it, but plan to.

During this year's Oscars party, we all filled out our ballots with the nominees we thought would win. For best song, Trevor selected the HAPPY WORKING SONG (or whatever it is called). We they sang it, though, Trevor just about fell out of his seat. I don’t know what he was expecting, but that song definitely wasn’t it. The rest of us were all like, "Glad we didn't vote for THAT one!" Poor Trevor did, though, and we ridiculed him all night. Because, really, why not?! He was the only guy in attendance, and selected THAT song. He is now claiming it is his favorite song…ever.

So, next time you watch ENCHANTED imagine Trevor humming along with THE HAPPY WORKING SONG and giggle. :P

Em said...

I also got Enchanted from Netflix and watched it wednesday night. I LOVED it.... cutest movie in a long time.

Heather said...

deals - Aw, Trevor. Yes, I will imagine him humming that song. And giggle!

em - It was SO cute. I am so glad that I took a chance on it instead of yet another 80s comedy. (Although, I watched Caddyshack today - for the first time NOT on basic cable - and laughed my ass off.)

Waayers said...

James Marsden is my new crush. LOVE him! You should check him out in Hairspray if you haven't seen it.

Heather said...

waayers - Yes, he's delicious.