Friday, March 14, 2008

Scarlet

You're going to have to excuse my extreme nerditude for a moment, and just bear with me.

This morning, on my walk to work, I noticed a bright red bird in a tree just ahead, but he didn't have a tufted head like a cardinal. He also had black wings, so I knew that he wasn't a cardinal. I sat there and stared at him for several minutes when another bird joined him. She was lighter-colored, and looked something like a female cardinal, but like the male, did not have a tufted head.

I tried to get a picture, but they took off.

I resumed walking, but it was driving me crazy not knowing. So I called the resident bird-nerd of the family, The Lady. She determined that I had seen scarlet tanagers, which is just AWESOME.

Just one more reason that I cannot WAIT for spring and sitting on my back deck. I love birdies!

4 comments:

JLR said...

me, too! I know, who in our age bracket gets excited about birds? But I do. I'm considering joining the Audubon Society, actually.

I like your cute little friends!

Heather said...

jlr - I haven't even thought about joining the Audubon Society. That's a good idea...

Lady said...

I could order you a subscription to "Birds and Blooms" then you could be a real expert out on your balcony! :)

Heather said...

Lady, yes! I want!