Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Where To Start?

My honey gave me a gift card to Barnes and Noble, and it has been burning a hole in my pocket for weeks. Last night, I headed to one of the largest B&N ever and spent over an hour just looking and reading and being surrounded by lovely, lovely books.

I just love books.

I settled on four, with a little bit left on the gift card (sweet!), and I can't wait to dig right in. I'm not sure where to start, but here are my choices:

The Stranger by Albert Camus

I read Camus in college (or was it high school in my philosophy class?) and thought I'd try a little more. Plus, I loved the cover.

Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy

Amanda's favorite author, and her number one pick for my introduction to Hardy.

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger

I've read Peace Like a River, but I lent it out years ago and never got it back. It was a wonderful, moving tale and I would recommend it to anyone.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief has been on my wish list for months, and when I walked into the store and saw it directly in front of me, I knew that it was meant to be.

Oh, I love books.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Book Thief is on the top of my favorite books list.

Heather said...

megan - I am pumped for The Book Thief! I read something interesting about it being marketed as an adult book in some countries and as a young adult book in the US. Any thoughts, Ms. Librarian?

Anonymous said...

Are you speaking to me? Because I'm an archivist. Did I tell you I joined my friend's book club? I love it! The next book we are reading is "The Book of Lost Things", which sounds a lot like Pan's Labyrinth. It looks awesome. I can't wait until it arrives! Btw, to anyone who likes books - check out www.alibris.com.

Anonymous said...

Heather, we have our copy of The Book Thief in Young Adult. All of the adults I know who have read it have loved it. It's aimed toward YA, but definitely appeals to 'older' people.

Heather said...

lem - Well, technically, I was talking to Megan, as she's a children's librarian. But I've heard of The Book of Lost Things as well, and I'd like to hear what you think of it.

megan - My parents came up for a visit yesterday and my dad started reading The Book Thief. He wants to read it when I've finished!

Anonymous said...

My dad read it in two days. He liked it a lot.
I want to read the Book of Lost Things, too!