Thursday, January 24, 2008

Best. Decision. Ever.

I did something tonight that I hadn't done in thirteen years - I took a ballet class.

New shoes!

It was really difficult and I am going to be super sore tomorrow, but it was wonderful.

I started dancing at the age of four, and studied ballet, tap, and gymnastics. By the time I was eleven, I had decided that ballet was the only class I needed.

I loved ballet, but once I started high school, I knew that I had to focus on either being a prima ballerina, or getting into a good college. And after my freshman year saw me in student council, track, and marching band (yes, I admit it), squeezing in those ballet lessons was just too difficult.

I do wish that I had stuck with it, just for the exercise and the way that it made me feel, but it just didn't seem feasible.

So today, thirteen years later, I put on that leotard and strapped on those shoes, and headed to the studio.

It was awesome. I found that I remember almost everything, and though we started at a pretty high level, I held my own. I was so proud of myself! My core already feels stronger, and my muscles seem longer.

Because apparently I can tell when my muscles elongate.

Okay, time to crawl into bed and pray that I can walk tomorrow!

No comments: