Saturday, December 16, 2006

Rosa Mexicano

Amanda planned a lovely Happy Hour at Rosa Mexicano, a Mexican bar in the heart of Penn Quarter. I arrived early to grab a table and ordered their special pomegranate margarita and homemade guacamole.

The margarita was tart, like a regular lime version, but with a hint of sweetness. And as pomegranates are all the rage these days, it seems fitting for a hip bar like Rosa. Plus, it was pink, so it scored well with me.

The guacamole was excellent, if slightly bland. I could have used a touch more cilantro or perhaps a dash of salt. I loved the huge hunks of avocado sprinkled throughout, though. I didn't get to have much, as it was gobbled up so quickly.

(I wish I could find out where it is that restaurants buy their avocados in the winter - the ones at the grocery store are severely lacking in taste and quality. I'm sure that they have them delivered straight from Argentina or something. I'm jealous!).

We later moved on to the red wine sangria. It was lighter than what I'm used to from Mike at Ella's, but very good. Get a pitcher because it goes fast!

And the company was good times - it'd been a while since our last Happy Hour, so it was nice to celebrate with everyone before Christmas descended upon us. I guess that's what Sunday's upcoming party is for!

4 comments:

Deals On Wheels said...

You've been TAGGED.

(sorry)

Unknown said...

At one point on Friday we had 3 caraffe's of Sangria at our table at Ellas. God bless Mike.

Heather said...

Deals, I hate you.

Steezy, are you still going to Ella's on Fridays? Because I think that I need to be doing that, too.

Unknown said...

we go pretty much every friday. last week we threw a fit because they hadnt reserved a table for us. but then mike let me grab his ass so it was all good.