Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Merriest of Merry Christmases

K-10 should enjoy the title. Miss you!

Anyway, it was a great Christmas at home - it was a complete contrast to last year's, and for that, I am very very thankful. It really is amazing to see what can change in a year, as well as seeing yourself change - or return to who you really are.

I flew into Detroit on Christmas Eve, and after the luggage snafu, I called my dad and he whisked me away to my Grandpa's house in Dearborn, just ten minutes from the airport. The whole family was there, though you wouldn't know it from the pictures. What can I say? My niece is adorable:

My cousins and I have always had a soft spot for the annual A Christmas Story marathon, even before it was a marathon, so that was fun. We count down the minutes until the first one airs at 8 p.m., and everyone waits for Randy to show Mommy how the piggies eat (mostly because that's my aunt's favorite part and the part that my mom hates the most). Presents are over in less than five minutes, and then everyone plays pinochle or poker. This year, it was poker. Oh, and we played Atari:

Super Pitfall!

Christmas Day was a quiet affair, but very nice. It's strange how things change - my brother obviously no longer lives at home, so there is no more waking up early to get our stockings. I mean, I am twenty-six years old. I guess it had to end sometime... EmFace dropped by later in the day, and it was so good to see her - I just wish it could have been longer. Alexis got a few Elmo DVDs, including this gem, which was both hilarious and deeply disturbing at the same time. We were taking bets on how long it would take to drive my brother completely insane:

Oh sweet Lord, make it stop.

The 26th, or Boxing Day, was spent at the mall finding clothes to replace mine as they were probably gone forever in lost luggage land. And you know, the mall wasn't that bad! Later, after watching Super Troopers with the 'rents, I met Tonks for a drink - also too short of a visit (you hear me Kelly? One beer at the freaking Allen Park Wheat 'n' Rye is not "hanging out." Get your ass to DC stat!).

The 27th was spent saying goodbye to my niece and heading to the airport early to see if there was any new news on my luggage. And there was.* My flight took off late (because Northwest SUCKS), but I returned to DC in one piece.

It was a great time at home, even without snow :)

*Story of the lost luggage to follow soon. Keep posted!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree on the visit being too short. I miss you! Maybe I need to move to DC? Possibilities are endless!

Heather said...

DC would be all, "Hey, EmFace, what's up? Move on in!"

Anonymous said...

and I would be all DC WHAT!

Heather said...

And then you'd be all, "DING!"