Saturday, January 05, 2013

Meatloaf, meatloaf. Double beatloaf. I hate meatloaf.

I know that meatloaf isn't everyone's idea of a good time (Mike: "Call it anything else, and I'll try it."), but I grew up with it and I love it.  My dad was the one to make it in our house - and his version is incredible - but there is no recipe, because he does everything by eye.  A little of this, a little of that... a little more of that.  But his secret (not so secret) ingredient is corn flakes instead of bread or breadcrumbs.   

--FYI, the more I look at the word "meatloaf," the less it looks like a word.

I'm pretty sure that my dad's version was 100% beef, but I was at the good grocery store the other day buying kielbasa because I'm Polish, and I don't think that I need a reason for buying kielbasa, and I noticed the "Meatloaf Mix" on display.  Half beef and half pork, it's the traditional mixture for meatloaf, and I thought that it was worth a try.

I followed my dad's example by adding whatever the hell I wanted, and in whatever amounts I wanted.  I didn't have cornflakes, but I did have Special K, so I used that.  It's a little sweeter than cornflakes, but I figured that it wouldn't be too noticeable.



Anyway, here are the leftovers.  How gross does it look?  I'm thinking... pretty gross.  But it was DELICIOUS.

But to be honest?  Mike has a point.  The more I say, "meatloaf," the more disgusting it sounds.  

Heather's Off-the-Cuff Meatloaf

preheat oven to 350 degrees
spray loaf pan with cooking spray

1.5 pounds ground beef or "meatloaf mix"
1 medium onion, chopped finely
1 egg
1 cup cornflakes, lightly crushed  (panko breadcrumbs work well here, too)
ketchup - to taste (the more you add, the sweeter it gets)
mustard - to taste
2 tablespoons worchester sauce (or more - I love this shit)
seasoning mix (I use this one)
salt
pepper

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.  It's easiest to just use your hands, which is SO GROSS, but they really are your best kitchen tool.  Shape into loaf form and place in the loaf pan.

Cook in oven for at least 1 hour, or until the internal temperature is 160 degrees.

No comments: