Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Fatty Fat Tuesday

In Michigan, Fat Tuesday is about one thing, and one thing only: paczkis, a Polish filled pastry/donut thing that takes over the state on the day before Lent. Even though I am Polish, I had never tried one. Until today.

As a rule, I don't love filled donuts, and because paczkis are basically filled donuts, I've always shied away. Today, like most offices in southeastern Michigan, there were paczkis everywhere, and I was bullied into trying one.

I figured that it was about that time, and since the Detroit area is famous for the delicacies, I thought I would be getting a treat. Well, the ones in the office were not from a bakery in Hamtramck, but from the grocery store.

It tasted like barf.

I tried half of one, basically eating around the filling, and it was gross, you guys! No thank you! If I wanted to eat 1000 calories in one sitting... well, I wouldn't want it to be on a glorified donut.

Anyway, as a sidenote, the Lenten season begins tomorrow. What to give up? Last year didn't work so well for me, but I think that I am going to have to be more in charge of my this year.

This year, I am giving up my beloved mochas from Biggby. Not only are they expensive, they have more calories in them than I'd like to admit.

Now, I'm not stupid. I know that that drinking Coke isn't much better. But we all know what happens when I give up that kind of sugar. I CAN'T DO BOTH. It would kill me.

I will cut down on the Coke, however. Probably. Maybe.

No comments: