Tuesday, March 02, 2010

I'm About Done With the Majesty of Winter

It's really been snowing here. It's pretty much par for the course for Michigan in February-March, but still. It snowed every day last week, and on a few of those days, Mother Nature pelted us with ice-pellet snowflakes, leaving faces red and raw. It was delightful.

Snow just keeps accumulating. Again, it's quite lovely, but it's to the point where it's getting monotonous and irritating.

It's spring break here on campus (ironic, no?), so while those of us left toiling are glad for the deserted streets and buildings, the snow and ice isn't getting cleared as quickly as it should. Makes for some slippery commutes across campus, that's for sure. Though I'd take slipping and falling on my ass in front of no one than having it happen in front of a bunch of cocky undergrads.

To brighten my mood, I wear a different scarf each day. These are my last four choices. I have many, many more. It's a sickness, really.

My landlord, in North Carolina for the winter, pays my neighbor to clear my sidewalk. What she didn't ask him to do is clear around my car so that I don't have to be shin deep in snow every time I need to drive. But he does. He's such a nice guy.

He doesn't clear the snow off of my sweet baby Focus, however. I do that. Gladly.

All in all, I love winter. After DC's "normal" winters (I'm not counting this year, obviously), which consisted of a few inches total and maybe a bout of freezing rain, I feel lucky to now be able to experience the beauty of winter.

But I'm about done with the experiencing. Bring on spring!

2 comments:

lem said...

Was spring break invented for northerners to escape the majesty of winter?

Heather said...

lem - I think that you've hit the nail on the head. Who in Southern California needs a "spring break." It's always somewhere between spring and summer there.