Monday, February 09, 2009

Waded in the Pacific? Check!

Though I've been lucky enough to travel to Europe on several occasions, I had never actually been to the west coast of the United States. Until I traveled to Phoenix in April of 2008, I'd never been further west than Chicago. I mean, I went to the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama on a family vacation, which I think is geographically further west than Chicago, but I never really counted that.

When Old Roommate Jenny moved to southern California last year, we all knew that her wedding would be just around the corner.

The weather wasn't super cooperative, with highs in the fifties and the constant threat of rain, but compared to the icy negative temperatures in Michigan, it basically felt like the Caribbean to me. The planned bonfire for Friday night had to be scrapped, but we ended up at a cute bar instead.

Me and the bride-to-be at Beach Fire

At the San Clemente pier

I had most of Saturday to myself, and my plan was to get good Mexican food and visit the Mission San Juan Capistrano. The food I found, courtesy of Laurel (and now I know what guacamole should taste like, WOW. Thanks, Laurel!) and then I headed to the Mission.



Serene!

The wedding was Saturday evening, in a gorgeous courtyard. Jenny and Dave wed as the sun set and it was romantic and lovely.

The reception was amazing - in a quiet, dark restaurant with an open bar.

I didn't have to have the car back until 2 on Sunday, so I decided to drive up the Coastal Highway instead of taking the boring interstate. It was amazing. The coastal towns were both quaint and extravagant (Laguna Beach, are you kidding me? You need to calm down), and when I got to Newport Beach, my head could barely contain the Arrested Development quotes. I kind of wanted to ask someone where I could find a frozen banana stand.

I settled on hiking for about an hour at Crystal Cove State Park, just off of the highway:


I had a wonderful time and though I wish that I could have spent a week or more just driving up the coast, I know that I'll be back eventually (Betsy isn't going to visit herself, now is she?).

The John Wayne International Airport can suck it, though. A 16-ounce bottle of water? $2.99. (Okay, it was Evian. But I abhor the taste of Dasani water - it's just rebottled tap water that didn't get the luxury of being made into Coke in Atlanta. It's awful and I hate it and I really only spent like, thirty cents more or something. Whatever, quit judging me! I would have brought my own goddamned water if it was allowed.) And then a medium Coke at McDonald's? $2.58. Cut it out, airport!

It was nice to land in Detroit, even if it was 1:30 in the morning. Whee!

Congratulations again, Jenny and Dave!

(All pictures can be viewed here.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The coast is even prettier from Monterey on up.

Anonymous said...

Indeed lem is right. Monterey all the way up to the the Lost Coast is phenomenal. Now you understand why we live here. Except I still miss DC. Also.

Waayers said...

Awww, you visited my homeland! Kind of. Except my part of the state is not nearly as pretty and it smells of cows.

Anonymous said...

There is always money in the banana stand.

Jenny said...

Now it is 75 and sunny, you can come back now! We got a puppy (i know how much you love dogs) but she is really chill and cute (which helps when she shits on the floor). Bring mike out!

Heather said...

lem - I wish I had had more time...

mush - You must feel about CA like I feel about MI. I love me some MI.

waayers - I did not see a single cow.

shane - NO TOUCHING.

jen - And you got a house! You're such a grown-up.