Monday, February 16, 2009

Redpoll

While working from home today, a noticed a lot of birds on my bird feeder outside. I have always had goldfinches, and no differing species, so I was really surprised to see these:


I had never seen these birds before, so I had to look them up. I know that this is exciting to no one but me (and my mom), but they were Common Redpolls. And though the name suggests otherwise, it is somewhat unusual to see them around these parts.

So, as a self-proclaimed bird nerd, those little guys made my day! Now if I could only get that fucking squirrel off my other feeder...

Ingenious.

Success.

Yeah, I think that he's had enough.
Fucker.

3 comments:

RR said...

I. posted. a. comment. By golly. And now it's not there. Sheesh, blogger (it's not my fault, honest! It's blogger!).

Anyhow, congratulations on getting these birds to your feeder! And congratulations on identifying them! I really mean that. As I said in my comment that didn't post, I can't tell a house finch from a house sparrow -- although I'm somehow still enthusiastic about bird watching -- so your being able to tell that these were redpolls is nifty-keen-o.

[Also, my word verification is "zingn." That's going to be my new old-fashioned-sounding slang. 'Have a zingn good time tonight, kiddos!']

Anonymous said...

your squirrels are really impressive.

Heather said...

rr - Thanks! I've been bird watching for years, and I'm getting slightly better as the time goes by, but I get stumped all of the time. zingn!

lem - All Michigan squirrels are like that. They outsmart every single bird feeder, no matter how many bells and whistles you implement to try and keep them away. They are also enormous fatties in the winter.