Thursday, October 05, 2006

It's That Time Again

It's application time! Yay! More moron wannabe interns who can't seem to follow simple directions. I must praise them in that they did not try my patience this semester with inane paper clips. Staples, on the other hand...

I like to see how many I can fit on the staple remover -- or, "rejection claw," as I like to call it.

There were a plethora of staples! I used the rejection claw to extricate them from the mounds of paper, and let me tell you, I did so with attitude. Plethora. Now there's a good word. Overused, but good. I would say about half of the applicants used it at least once in their essays: "plethora of responsibilities," "plethora of activities," and "plethora of interests" were the most rampant. Great.

These potentials applied for Spring 2007, so there weren't scary amounts. That's on February 1st - the deadline for summer applicants. That's also, coincidentally, when my hair starts falling out. I guess it could be the weather... I don't know. It's the point when I tend to forget that I was once a hopeful intern applicant and start to really hate them.

Just to reiterate, I am not the one who makes the life or death decisions (the boss does that), but the ones with the fewest staples survived the first cut. Interesting.

3 comments:

Waayers said...

Hehe, rejection claw. It's funny.

Heather said...

I crack myself up with that one. Every time. Because I am easily amused.

Waayers said...

Funny story: I took this art history class in college, and we had this smarty-pants freshman in the class. He used the word "plethora" on the first day and I think the professor literally smacked up upside the head (in a loving way, of course). "Plethora" was his nickname for the rest of the year.