Monday, June 26, 2006

Where's the Ark?

Okay, let me take you through the last twenty-four hours or so.

Last night it rained. You know the whole "it's raining cats and dogs" thing? Well, last night, it rained cats, dogs, horses, fish, hamsters, and Loch Ness monsters. Yep, Nessie came swimming by after a few hours of torrential downpour.

The thing is, I love rain. I love rainstorms with the lightning and the scary thunder. I love to lay in bed and listen to the craziness up in the heavens. I love running around outside, getting drenched, and not caring. Love the rain. Last night, though... last night things started leaking. Now, living in a one hundred year-old rowhouse is peachy keen! Until it rains. Roommates and I gathered at the window just staring into the night, watching the low-lying areas of the parking lot become lakes. Quickly.

Even in the mildest of rain storms, a little rain usually sneaks underneath the door -- place is old, people. But the water was leaking from the top of the tiny little window above the door. The window itself wasn't leaking, however - the molding was. It was the strangest thing. Because I'm weird, I snapped a picture. I guess I figured that it might also help to explain to our landlord that molding was leaking and since there really wasn't any other way to describe it:


Yeah, our place is shit.

This morning's commute was as normal as any day's, but I was supposed to meet my office's interns in front of the Castle for a field trip. I bypassed Chinatown and headed to Metro Center, where officials were directing the frazzled masses to shuttle buses since several stations were closed due to flooding. Super! Makes you feel really good about getting on those trains that run on those OH MY GOD DON'T TOUCH THE TRACKS WITH THE MUDEROUS VOLTAGE, DANGER, DANGER, AHHHHHHHHH!

Walked to the Castle, and on the way discovered that the trip was cancelled as the Beltway had mudslides. Mudslides? Where do we live again? I'm so confused.

I waited for any interns to inform them of the situation, and then trudged to work where I sat around for a while with no internet, no programs, and nothing to do, until I got sent home at
2:30 because the museums were flooded. All thanks to our Founding Fathers for building the nation's capital in a swampland.

Oh, and apparently today was considered ideal to deliver the new phonebooks. As I walked home from work this afternoon, each porch on the block was sporting a brand-new, soaking-wet phonebook. Oops!

Twenty-four hours later and it's still raining! But you know what? I still love it. Makes me want to go out and run around. Again :)

No comments: