Thursday, June 22, 2006

Rain?

Tuesday, it rained. It rained bucketloads.

For example, here is a lovely picture taken in the
National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden around nooner:



And here are some pictures taken from my office about two hours later:


That white stuff? Hail. Yep.

It looks dark as night, correct? Nope, 3:00 p.m.

About twenty minutes later, the clouds cleared, the sun popped back out, and when I left at 5:30, it was back to hot and humid. Again. I met Merrick at McPherson Square to catch the bus to Old Town so we could enjoy our weekly shopping extravaganza at
Trader Joe's. This bus is pretty awesome, by the way. It hops on 395, exits on Washington Street, and drops us off a few blocks from her house. Much better than walking over a mile from the King Street metro.

Quick story: about a month ago, we were on the bus to her house and the driver was just driving along, minding his own business, and this dumbass pigeon flew directly into the windshield. I saw it coming and covered my eyes before impact, but I certainly heard it. Someone screamed, which I found hilarious. I was close to tears, but Merrick said it just flew away. She was probably lying so I wouldn't cry in front of all of those people. She's a good friend...


Anyway, back to Tuesday. We were motoring down Washington, and the windshield wipers started swishing. At our stop, it started
dumping rain. We jumped inside CVS for a few minutes, but figured that it wasn't worth waiting around for rain to stop. The sky was back to black, and we only had my umbrella, but we sucked it up, crowded underneath the umbrella, and ran back into the rain.

Washington Street was flooded already, and as we crossed, the water was up to my knees (a little lower for normal people, of course). We were cracking up when we realized that we were both wearing white - her white slacks, me a white skirt. The drivers probably got a kick out of us.


But what was the point in being annoyed at the rain? When we were little, rain was the best thing to run around in. So we enjoyed it! And Trader Joe's was fun, too.

No comments: