Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Arts & Industries

I had a meeting at the Arts and Industries Building (A&I) today, which I always enjoy because it's currently closed to the public and I love seeing what's going on in there. The meeting, on the other hand, is equally enjoyable as the trip to A&I because of Ms. Crazy and Ms. Sexual Harrassment - two people who should not be in positions of authority because of their limited grasp on reality (and sanity), but somehow ARE. Trust me, they are entertaining, to say the least.

The A&I Building was the original Smithsonian Museum, and one of the oldest on the National Mall. Most recently, it was used for temporary and traveling exhibits, and is really beautifully decorated. It was closed recently because the roof is unsafe. There, I said it. No one wanted a piece of the ceiling to fall on some tourist's head, so it was closed (yet the staff office remained. Interesting...). Seeing it now, gutted and lonely, is kind of sad, but the beautiful architecture remains. Hopefully, renovations will restore it to its original glory - if not, let's hope that it remains on the Mall with the same architectural integrity and originality as when it was built.












No comments: