Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Good Marketing Pays Off

So it's no secret that I love me some Netflix. Convenience, ease, inexpensiveness... superb!

As I left the house this morning and turned onto 3rd street, I watched as two people - one on 3rd, one on F street - walk out their front doors carrying the same distinctive red envelope. He was in his mid-twenties, she was older, with striking white hair. I was halfway to Union Station by the time they probably met at the mailbox, and I imagined that they had a thrilling conversation about their respective rentals. Which one of them rented
Gosford Park (a brilliant movie, btw) and who rented Bring It On? Discuss!

I find it so interesting that this company has made its product so accessible to such a wide variety of people. Kudos!


I mean, it's a good idea, don't you think?


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

L-O-V-E Love Netflix. In the process of watching the entire series of Sex and the City. For $10 a month it RULES!! Big Fan.

Heather said...

I've had season one of the British version of The Office for over a week now. I just can't get through it. I do think that it's funny, but it's just not that easy to watch. I mean, I get the slang, and I can follow the accents... I really think (get ready for this one) that the American version is better. I feel like it's more of a sitcom while the British version really is more like a documentary - as it's meant to be. I just laugh more at Steve Carell and the actor who plays Dwight.

But I absolutely LOVE British humour (hee!), so it's not that I don't "get" it. (FYI - Are You Being Served and Keeping Up Appearances are fantastic Brit shows).

The next DVD in my queue is Fargo, which I've never seen. Great, another movie with crazy accents...

Anonymous said...

I love Fargo! It's hilarious (mostly because of Frances McDormand and her AMAZING accent, doncha know) and somewhat gross.

Anonymous said...

I could not resist commenting. Right now, in my DVD player, I have Bring It On. Sadly, I don't do Netflix, it's a library rental.

Heather said...

I love Bring It On. I own it. I watch it frequently as it lives in the world of my top five comfort movies (which also includes Harry Potter 1 and Sixteen Candles. Oh, and Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead. Heh).

And library rentals are free, yes? Score!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of awesome British comedies, Coupling is hilarious! Thank you Comcast On Demand for letting me watch it for free.

As for Fargo, I personally think it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Yes, the accents are funny, but it is a seriously disturbing movie. It made me nauseous.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is gross, but it is incredibly well done.

Anonymous said...

Fargo is a great movie. And I know you and your humor, you will giggle. I will admit, it is gross at times, but you just sit there thinking what the HECK! I agree with your thoughts on the Office. While I enjoyed the British version, you just can't beat Michael/Dwight, and the Jim/Pam thing. I am a sucker for sitcoms!