Thursday, February 09, 2006

Fargo

I liked it. I think.

EmFace was right, it was definitely my kind of humor. And the bloodiness/disgustingness? Not so bad. I vaguely remember someone mentioning the woodchipper scene - back when the film was still in theaters - but I didn't think about it until that scene popped onto the screen. Good LORD. Honestly, though, I only had to cover my eyes once, and it wasn't at that point believe it or not.

Yes, it was gross. No, it is not happy. Yes, it was
very disturbing. But I laughed like an idiot at the Minnesota/North Dakota accents. I do think that the accents and the seemingly gentle characters made this film easy to watch. Without them, I probably wouldn't have gotten through the first twenty minutes.

The humanity of the sheriff versus the banality of the evil that permeates through (practically) everyone else in the film was
such a stark contrast. William H. Macy was wonderful playing such a sap of a man - but in reality, was the most evil person in the movie. He played the role to perfection. His portrayal almost made it easy for the viewer to feel sorry for his character - until s/he realizes that everything that happens is his fault.

I can totally understand why Frances McDormand won an Academy Award for her role as the pregnant sheriff. She was amazing. I don't remember which clip they submitted to the Academy for consideration, but I'd bet it was one of her final scenes - as she drove her recent capture to jail, she finally cracks while wondering aloud why he did what he did. She allows herself to be affected by the horror - for the first time in her career, maybe - and it is such a wonderfully acted scene.


And the movie ends with her getting into bed with her husband and talking about
his day. Brilliant.

No comments: