Thursday, September 01, 2005

Validation

See? I knew I wasn't the only one who thought that the concert was above-average AWESOME. But I also have to agree with this writer.

I mean, yes, Green Day playing a huge arena technically dissolves their "punk" status, given that punk bands just "don't play" big crowds - it's in their definition of "selling out." That's for them to ponder, not me. And watching the crowd chant and wave along with Billie Joe made me hope that they could see the irony in following him mindlessly - something their latest album strongly preaches against!

But they were good. And there's nothing wrong with that.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Amanda and I drove to Atlantic City to see Weezer last month. I'd seen them in Chicago a few years earlier, but I barely remember that concert (mostly because we had floor "seats" and I couldn't see a thing). For a band that seems pretty intense, they were the boringest bunch of guys to see live. It was like they didn't even want to be there. I mean, we're glad we went, but I doubt I'll pay to see them again.

It was such a contrast to Green Day.

Anonymous said...

So I'm not a punk rocker, hard rocker, light rocker, funk daddy, playa hayta, redneck, hootie doody or any other thing i don't know about. But I saw Green Day at merriweather and thoroughly enjoyed their high energy, well-sung and played show. As a lame thirty-something who has only been to a few concerts, I'm thrilled this was one of them.

Anonymous said...

Weezer is awesome live! Maybe they just weren't having a great night. Green Day is definitely higher energy though. And Billie Joe obviously loves being on stage and the center of attention. -L