Friday, September 09, 2005

Computer Fun-ness

My computer was down ALL DAY yesterday. So I had a productive day. If productive means getting some sleep, then YES!

I waltzed into work, logged in, got into my work email and was reading the first new message (from A - not a work-related one, of course) for about 10 seconds before the inbox went blank. Huh?

Fine, must just be the stupid email application. Checked gmail. Same thing - 10 seconds, then nothing.

Called the computer nerds to file report at 9:15.

Logged out. Logged in. Again, 10 seconds to complete meltdown. Logged out. "Saving your settings." That message was on my screen for two hours before I turned off the whole damn thing.

My supervisor was in a meeting from 9:45 to noon, so I had literally nothing to do. I attempted to clean my office, which was left in a whirl of emotions by my predecessor. Closed my eyes for a while. I thought about going down the hall to ask my director if she had anything for me, but then realized that I didn't really WANT to do anything, so I worked on the crossword some more. More closing of eyes.

By 11:15, and no computer nerds, I went to Chipotle. I ate 1/3 of that damn veggie burrito. May have more for lunch today, but they don't always keep that well in the fridge. Always better the first day.

Meeting on the Mall at 1:15. Left on the shuttle at 12:45, meeting lasted until 4. Got back, STILL no nerds. The monitor seemed to be fucked now, too. Called again. "Yes, I see that you filed a report. But he's been there."

Oh, obviously! That's why everything is shot to hell and I can't even get the damn thing to turn ON. But he's BEEN here, you say? "Oh. Okay. Well, it's still not working. Could you see if he can come check it out before the end of the day? You see, my supervisor is going to be out tomorrow, and I will have nothing to do if I can't log in."

"Well, I can't make any promises."

THANKS.

He showed up at 4:45. It works fine now. Most of the confusion was from my switching offices and nothing's been updated to reflect that. Meh - if people can't find me for a while, I am totally fine with that. Obviously.

No comments: