Monday, July 11, 2005

Had a Fab Time in MI...

Any day I get to leave work early is a good day. Caught the flight to Det-roit (thanks to Tonks for that one) and I gotta say, Spirit Airlines kinda blows. It's not a long flight - an hour and twenty minutes, an hour and a half, tops. Somehow, they managed to make it over two. So that was fun. The Lady was waiting for both K-10 (whose flight arrived from London only an hour before mine) and I and we all went to dinner before K-10's psychotic mother came to pick her up. She's crazy, y'all. Just take my word for it.

Saturday, I went to see the baby, and discovered that the sweet LCD screen on my very expensive digital camera had been completely shattered sometime between DC and then. So that was neat. After a few minutes of pouting, I got over the fact that it's just an object and was only angry that I couldn't take any pics of my beautiful and perfect little niece.

Went to Somerset with K-10. Holy Shopping Mecca, Batman! That place was freaking ginormous. Felt a little out of place with my purse from H&M, as most people were carrying purses worth more than, let's say, my computer. I've never really bought into the whole designer bags thing, though I can understand why people do. I just lose/break/sit on/rip things way too easily to justify spending very much money (exhibit A: the digital camera; exhibit B: every pair of sunglasses I have ever owned).

Later, met Tonks at a party in the S-gate. Knew a few people. Mostly peeps who returned to the Gate after college, which makes little to no sense to me. I escaped, and there was no going back! One of these people was a guy who graduated 2 years ahead of us. He played hockey, he was gorgeous, etc. Isn't it fun when people who didn't really know you existed back in the day are now clamboring to talk to you? I mean, it's not like this happens to me every day. Me having a thing for hockey players may have had a little to do with why I let it happen - also, maybe because it was time to get a life and grow up. People change, after all. Anyhoo, we'll call him Pavel, after my favorite Canuck (well, used to be a Canuck).

Went to some bar in Wyandirt - Pier 500, or something. Very fun, not too crowded, good drinkees. And I got to dance! And do a little kissing. Fun! Back to Pavel's.

It was about 4 a.m. when I realized I wouldn't be going to sleep that night as my flight was scheduled to take off just after sunrise. Caught the 7:30 a.m. flight back to DC and slept. Good dreams...

Went to see Lawrence of Arabia with Gabe and Joshy later in the day up at the AFI theater in Silver Spring, MD. I'm so glad that I never watched it as my dad had always said that it's best on the big screen. He was not kidding - the vast shots of the desert were enough to make me cry (and we all know how difficult that is). It was just... wow. And as much as I love Gregory Peck and To Kill a Mockingbird, Peter O'Toole was SO robbed of the Oscar.

Anyway, it was definitely a weekend to remember. Now, when can I get back to MI to see Pavel...

3 comments:

Deals On Wheels said...

Really? Pavel? I am way too distracted by his pseudonymity to appreciate the apparent fact that you hooked up with a hottie hockey player.

Hehe...

On the topic of purses: I have a Kate Spade that four of my friends bought me for my 22nd birthday. To this day, it is the only purse that I ever carry (or have ever carried, for that matter). True, it is starting to look a little...loved, but it is the perfect size, color, EVERYTHING. Plus, it is kinda fun when people just assume that it is A) a fake Kate Spade (it is me, after all), or B) "Wait! Deals carries a Kate Spade? Now if we could only get her to wear make-up and straighten her hair then OPERATION GIRLIFICATION would be a success!"

...I was such a bad sorority girl!

Heather said...

Ha! I remember your Kate Spade - it was a good one. There's this coolio ESPRIT purse that I've had for years. I think I spent more money on it than I had wanted to, but here I am, still using it for over 5 years. I guess I'm too frugal to buy into the designer mindset... It's the people who replace their things each season in order to "be in style" that confuse the hell out of me.

Deals On Wheels said...

Last summer a friend of mine bought this absolutely heinous, bubble-gum pink, designer bag/purse thing. It was so ugly, but she kept insisting that it was "just so cute". I felt bad for her, so I agreed (she had dropped over $700 on the bag).

Anyway, she carried for - I'm not even kidding you - about three weeks, and then she bought another designer bag. For months I saw the pink one lying around her messy, messy apartment until one day it was retired to the back of her closet (never to be seen again, I presume).

I can think of about a million different ways that I would rather spend $700, and none of them include a purse, designer anything or the color "bubble-gum pink". Ew.