Sunday, February 17, 2013

Beauty Delivery

I don't remember how I discovered "beauty by delivery," but I am so glad that I did - it's like your birthday every month!  There are more than a few to choose from, and I've tried three different companies over the past year: Beauty Army, Birchbox, and Glossybox.

Beauty Army - $12 a month
Beauty Army allows you to choose up to six samples out of a field of nine, and those are determined by your beauty profile.  Thing is, if you're not too keen on your choices, you can change your profile as often as you wish. This should - in theory - result in brand new samples. You make your choices and they are zipped to you.
  • PROS: The beauty profile offers very detailed questions, so you can guarantee that if you and your thick head of hair are to receive shampoo, for example, it won't be volume-enhancing.
  • CONS: Changing your beauty profile rarely gives you different results.  In fact, I re-did my profile seventeen times (seriously - I counted), and I saw at least five of the same offerings every time.





Birchbox - $10 a month
All Birchbox beauty samples are chosen for you based on your beauty profile.  Items can also include things like healthy snacks, not-so-healthy snacks, hair products, ear buds, and even band-aids.

Cynthia Rowley band-aids, you guys.  They're not fucking around here.  Plus, you earn points for gift orders, product reviews, and referrals.  You can then use those points for MOAR STUFF.  It's brilliant.
  • PROS: It's a surprise!
  • CONS: It's a surprise.  You might receive an amazing tinted moisturizer, but it could be twenty shades darker than you need.






Glossy Box - $21 a month
Glossybox, the most expensive of the three, boasts "deluxe-sized beauty products,"
  • PROS: The products are new to me - there are a good number of brands of which I was unaware, so that definitely ups the fun factor.  
  • CONS: It doesn't seem to be worth the high price tag.  Granted, I've only received one, so I will have to wait to see.  I give it two more months...

COMPLETELY UNBIASED RESULTS:
I can't believe it, but I truly think that Birchbox - the cheapest option - is the best choice.  Beauty Army has been seriously disappointing for the last three months, and my latest box arrived completely destroyed because a bottle of something leaked.  All over everything.  Glossybox was extremely underwhelming, but I am optimistic for the next one.

Anyway, and please excuse the selfishness of this request, if you're interested in signing up for one of these, let me know -- I can get referral points!  And I am a referral point whore.

No comments: