Saturday, January 03, 2009

Upcoming Movies I Want to See, Most of Which I Might Have to View Alone Because Each Time I Mentioned Them to Mike, He Groaned

In order by month of release:

Defiance (January)
Daniel Craig fighting against the Nazis? Check. Daniel Craig looking hot? Check.


Friday the 13th (February)
Oh, how I love delicious slasher flicks. Camp Crystal Lake is back, and so are the idiot counselors. It's going to be so awesomely bad!


Youth in Revolt (February)
Is it bad that the only good reasons I have for wanting to see this film are because it was partly filmed in Ann Arbor and because Fred Willard is in the cast?


I'm curious to see if the chick from Twilight can actually act when the script isn't overshadowed by a book. Plus, even though I always secretly wanted to, I never went to summer camp, and while Adventureland is set in an amusement park (filmed at Kennywood), it just seems like a neat summer job for a teenager. Plus, set in 1987? It will be awesome for the wardrobe alone. Additionally, Ryan Reynolds is slated to not chew the scenery, and that's always a good thing.


I Love You, Man (March)
Paul Rudd, trying to find a best man for his wedding. I'm there. I love him.


Super cool. I so don't remember the original, so my childhood memories will not be pillaged. I hope. The updated Violet Beauregarde plays the female lead, and she's absolutely adorable. But The Rock? ... Really?


Earth (April)
After watching Planet Earth for like, five seconds, I was hooked. Now a feature-length film? Sweet.


Maybe I should see the first one before this, but I worked at the Smith, so I should probably see this anyway, right?


Star Trek (May)
I grew up watching The Next Generation (ah, Wesley), and caught episodes of the original series on Nick at Nite. I also remember watching The Wrath of Kahn in my seventh grade Earth Science class, and being completely wigged out about wormy things for years. And maybe I'll eventually see the one with the whales that my mom keeps harping about.


Land of the Lost (June)
Mike started singing the theme song to the tv show when I mentioned this film, and I was convinced that he just made up words on the spot. I never saw the show, but there are dinosaurs. So I'll be there. But by myself, I'm assuming, as Mike has no love for Will Ferrell.


Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (July)
The day after I met Mike, during our "get-to-know-you" hours-long conversation, I mentioned that I loved the books. He paused, and after an excruciating moment in which I thought I had lost him forever, he declared that he had read all of the books and owned all of the released movies. And then we fell in love.

I don't care that the Ice Age occurred well after the extinction of the dinosaurs. I loved the first two installments, so mess with the chronology all you want, movie!


Public Enemies (July)
Ohmigod, Johnny Depp as Dillinger and Christian Bale as the cop? Wow.


New Moon (November?)
I know, it's poop. But I'll still see it.


Sherlock Holmes (November)
Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law as Sherlock and Watson. As imagined by Guy Ritchie. I just might be there on opening night.

Heath Ledger's final role, with other actors filling in the blank spots. Regardless of the film's connection to Ledger, the plot sounds cool and I probably would have seen it anyway. Because filming halted two-thirds of the way through the shoot, Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell, and Jude Law took over the different "roles."

It's Tarantino. It's WWII. It's a no-brainer.

9 comments:

RR said...

Ditto on Daniel Craig. I will not see that movie in the theater, however, as I don't like to cry in public. And I'm sure there will be crying involved.

Good luck getting Mike to go see all the movies with you!


* Also, my word verification is "snumpo"; shouldn't that mean something? I'm going to start using it in conversation, stat. Or snumpo.

Sarah said...

Wait, what? You haven't seen Night at the Museum?? WHAT?

Earth? Yes, please.

HP? Yes, please.

I am also confused that you haven't seen the whale Star Trek (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home). DUDE. LOVE IT.

Heather said...

rr - As much as I wish I could see most of these films in the theater, I'm sure I won't. I never get around to it, and I'm such a tightwad that I just don't want to spend the money. Of course, this is coming from someone who saw Twilight in the theater. Twice.

sarah - I know, I know. It's ridiculous that I haven't seen Night at the Museum. I will. I promise. I'm sure someone here owns it. I'll see Star Trek IV, too.

Em said...

Star Trek IV is my fav one! Twilight... mmmmmm
Race to With Mountain could anger me... because as a child I watched Escape To Witch Mountain like EVERY day! BUT, I could also love it, because I loves me a good remake. "Livin in the land of the lost...." Lots of good movies....

Anonymous said...

No love for Will Ferrell??? What is wrong with Mike?

Also, how hot is Johnny Depp as Dillinger? Can't wait for that one!

Heather said...

lem - I know, but I'm done fighting it. He just hates him. We only got ten minutes into Anchorman before I thought that he was going to kill himself, so I turned it off.

He also hates Chevy Chase in anything but Caddyshack, and Steve Martin in anything but My Blue Heaven.

I don't know how to deal with those, either.

Heather said...

em - We'll have to see some together!

Em said...

HSP- It is a DATE(S).

Heather said...

em - Oh it SO IS.