Sunday, January 22, 2006

Have Car, Will Travel

So I had a car for the weekend. And I used and abused it to its full potential, let me tell you!

Friday, I metroed to the airport to get my car. I had no idea what to expect on this one, except that it said I would have a Ford Focus or similar. There were those scary words:
or similar. Last time, I got the VIBE. What would it be? No worries, it's a Chevy Malibu! Cute!

I went all over the place - grocery store, Trader Joe's, Best Buy, etc, etc, etc. The news flash item of the trip: a new shower curtain liner to replace the mildew-covered one - I swear, the mold and mildew patterns were so intricate, you'd think that it was a map of the London Underground or something. It was gross. I felt
dirtier after taking a shower because of that thing - you know, you're showering and all of a sudden, the heat comes on, blowing the damn shower liner against your leg and you shriek because you JUST WASHED THAT LEG but there's nothing you can do about it. Made stew that night and some peeps came over to watch some quality DVDs.

Saturday, I woke up with the sun, showered faster than I've showered in a long while, and hopped in the sexy MALIBU for a ride to Great Falls. Three deer ran out in front of me when I was on the curvy, hilly road on the way to the park - two does and a buck. They were amazing. I got there a little around 8, and there were about six cars in the parking lot - most of which belonged to the rangers, I think. I had the place to myself - I was completely alone as I stood on the overlooks - and it was so beautiful and serene. I stood watching the falls for probably a half-hour before I parked myself in the sun on a semi-secluded bench in the nature center. It was just what I needed - places like that are hard to come by in the middle of the city, and not having a car really detracts from my ability to relax when I just need to slow down. And lately? I've needed to slow down. Being in nature like that allows my heart to breathe. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's true.


I spent the rest of the day with Merrick (she was the enabler behind the camera purchase). I had the LARGEST cup of cafe mocha from Panera. Mmmm...


I had to take the car back this morning, and that kinda sucked - especially after the amount of wine I drank last night. Metroed back toward the city and ended up at the 12:50 p.m. showing of
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in Chinatown. It was wonderful! I remember reading the books, but I must have been seven or eight years old at the time. I cried, of course, but not at the parts you'd expect. I just loved it. I'm glad I finally saw it.

Now? Now, I'm feeling a little down because the weekend is over and I feel a little ill after eating way too much popcorn. And as the house is roughly the same temperature as the Arctic tundra, I plan on watching DVDs on my computer while tucked into my blanket-laden bed. Because for real, when your little nose is ice cold, you
might have a heating problem.

3 comments:

Deals On Wheels said...

Yeah, so it is 58 degrees in Dallas today.

And, yes, 58 constitutes a "cold snap". All of my coworkers are wearing their winter coats.

Because, you know, people can't survive when it is below 70!

Texas is weird...

Heather said...

Apparently, Mother Nature ignores such warnings as, "Don't Mess With Texas."

Anonymous said...

I just think you should know that I almost spit water all over the monitor when I read you comment, HP. I'm sure my coworkers would have loved that.