Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Twenty Minutes

I've started running again. Well, sort of.

Since returning to Michigan, I still walk quite a bit - more than I did in DC, I think. It's a good two-mile walk to the museum. With Ann Arbor's rolling hills, it can end up being a pretty nice workout! Taking the stairs at the museum and then repeating those two miles at 5 p.m. round out my day nicely.

And yet? Maybe it's the fact that I'm pushing 28. Maybe it's the fact that I have a car again. Maybe it's the fact that I have discovered the joys of occasionally working from home. Or maybe my metabolism is finally starting to slow and I can't rely on my walking marathons to keep me in the shape I desire.

Whatever it is, it was time for a change.

The problem is, I need a schedule - something to keep me on track. I have attempted this "running" thing several times since that final high school track meet, all with less than positive results.

Attempt One: Freshman year of college. I was lucky enough to avoid the dreaded "freshman fifteen," but everyone else seemed to be running their asses all over campus, and hey! I ran track in high school! I could run - it was a great idea! I also thought that wearing impractical shoes around campus was a good idea, and I began my winter semester in a walking cast. Thank you, stress fracture! And goodbye, running.

Attempt Two: My first year in DC. I was BORED. I had no friends. Grad school was time-consuming, and I had yet to find a job. I used to run around my ridiculously-large block wearing a Michigan tee, in some pathetic attempt to make friends with some imaginary random Michigan alum who might spot me. It didn't happen. And after a few days, I gave up and retreated to my yoga mat and an old workout VHS tape.

Attempt Three: My last few months in DC. I was living on Capitol Hill, just behind the Supreme Court. I had met a very cute, very sweet, very in-shape man, and even though he lived in Michigan, I wanted to look my best each time I saw him. So I started running. Unfortunately, I had to wake up at 5:45 each morning, to both avoid the evil summer humidity and to be at work by 8. Stress caught up with me after a few weeks and I decided that sleep was more important.

Now? It's serious. Cardio is important, and taking care of myself now can only be good for my future. Plus, it's going to be summer soon, and that cute, sweet, in-shape man has a condo pool.

So. Lovely Melissa created a running schedule for me, technically a way to prepare for a 5K, but really a way to get a lapsed runner back into shape. Here it is, in all of its glory:

Monday: Stretch/strength day
Tuesday: 20 minute run at desired pace. Walk if necessary
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: 15 minute pace run

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 20 minute run

Sunday: Run 10 minutes/walk 5, for a total of 30 minutes

Great! So how is it going so far?

Monday, May 19: Ballet class. Much stretching. I can almost do splits again!
Tuesday, May 20: Ran for twenty minutes.

Do you KNOW how long twenty minutes is, especially when you haven't run in years? I ran myself all over the Old West Side, crossing streets and tackling long and short blocks. Eminem's "Lose Yourself" blasted in my ears, followed by the Eels's "Fresh Feeling."

My side was cramping, my lungs were closing. I was practically tripping over my Mizuno-clad feet. I glanced at the time.

It had been FOUR minutes.

Lord, this is going to be fun.

3 comments:

Shane said...

I recommend signing up for a 10K in say August and working toward that .. with a goal in mind, it is much easier to motivate yourself to get out and run.
When you start, the best thing you can do is just complete the workouts doing whatever pace you feel comfortable with (esp if you have to walk). Maybe stick to your 5K plan for a couple weeks and graduate to this 10K plan for novices. http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm
Hal and I go way back :) Just my 3 cents. Glad to see you back out there!

RR said...

I also have an on-again/off-again relationship with running, although I haven't been as dedicated as you to the "on again" part. The most running I did was in undergrad when my roommate was on the university long distance track team. She ran about 20 miles a day, and I ran about, oh, 2 miles every couple of days. But at least I had someone to run with! Do you have a running buddy? Sometimes that helps--and sometimes it's depressing because your buddy is in so much better shape.

Heather said...

shane - Thanks for the plan. I might just sign up for something. You're right, having something to work for makes it easier to get out there. But still - it's hard!

rr - 2 miles every few days is good! I do need a running buddy. I'm going to have to try to grab Mike to go with me. That is, if I can grab him before he leaves for the golf course :)