Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Snow! Well...

Here we are again - the beginning of the snowy season in Washington, DC. Honestly, though, it should be called the Season of FREAKING THE HELL OUT. The first "snowstorm" of the season started at noon on Monday, and after the media had been reporting the severity of the storm for a few days, the stores were packed, milk and bread were completely out of stock, and schools were already being cancelled for Tuesday.

At 5 p.m. yesterday evening, I had a half hour to finish up at work (read: fuck around until slinking out five minutes early). My boss appeared in my doorway giggling, "We're the only ones left in the office. The southerners all wigged out early."

So at 5:30, I headed out into the "storm." It was warmer than it had been earlier in the day, the snow was softly falling, and the sidewalks were ice free. To give them a little credit, the snow was sticking in a few places - grass and flower planters. Walking home along the streets around Union Station, all of the trees were covered in a light dusting of snow and looked so pretty!

I love snow - or at least I love the idea of snow. It gets annoying after it turns to slush, and unfortunately, that's about all we have in DC. I miss real snow that sticks around for days. Snow that packs well and can be easily formed into snowmen and snow forts. Snow that flutters down to the ground and accumulates in drifts. Snow that you can catch on your tongue.



"It's too early. I never eat December snow. I always wait 'til January."

But really, there is nothing better than a new snowfall on Christmas morning. Just beautiful! I can't wait!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you should come visit like you always say you will... I am sure the "lake effect snow machine" will kick up something for ya! It is snowing here.. and snowing.... and snowing... oh, did I mention that it is snowing?

Heather said...

I'll be in Michigan from December 22nd - January 2nd. Perhaps Cute Bf and I take a drive out to Cowville to visit?

Anonymous said...

Awesome. The CBF "loves West Michigan"!! It snowed... no, excuse it blizzarded-ed-ed ALL day today. But I must admit... it is pretty :) Eventually it will get all black and slushey and ugly