Monday, October 24, 2005

Shenandoah v.2

No camping this time, though I would have pitched a tent in a heartbeat. Have you ever gone camping this late in year? It's awesome! Of course, make sure you have plenty of blankets -- it gets cold at night!

We hiked in the Matthew's Arm area of the park, about 20 miles south of Front Royal, VA. It was basically a leisurely 45-degree angle walk alerting me to how ridiculously out of shape I really am. And here I thought that walking up and down the metro escalators was exercise enough... Once I got past the searing pain in my thighs and chest, it was quite exhilarating -- especially considering I had only gotten two hours of sleep the night before.

The smell of autumn, though... it was amazing! This time of year is my absolute favorite. Mmmm... sweater weather... Mmmm... cider... Mmmm... donuts...

It was surprisingly chilly, but then again, we were in the Blue Ridge Mountains, so perhaps that was to be expected. Once we got hiking though, we warmed up quickly!

Picked some apples at
The Pumpkin Patch and had dinner at good old Bob Evans. Why is it that I now find biscuits and gravy to be the only acceptable meal when dining there? Or at any diner, for that matter? I'm strange.

No comments: