Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Potbelly Wishes, Chinatown Dreams

"Hey! Want to meet for lunch?"

"Sure! What'd you have in mind?"

"I don't know... How about the Potbelly in Chinatown?"

"That sounds great - it's right by my work!"

Sound familiar? Doesn't Potbelly sound sooooooo good right about now? The Chinatown Potbelly, especially?

WELL, TOO BAD. Because as of yesterday (or earlier - but who knows? I barely left the house all weekend thanks to that sweet cold/cough thing I had going on), it is a cavernous HOLE on 7th street, forcing me to walk to the Potbelly at 11th and F instead.

But I was, apparently, too wrapped up in my phone convo with the bf to notice that it was no longer a bustling eatery in the heart of Chinatown. I had noticed that the sidewalk was blocked off, however, and I had to go into the street to get around the chaos. But when I was safely off the street and on the remaining sidewalk, I paused, turned around, and suddenly realized that I had just passed my beloved Potbelly. That was now a hollowed out store. With the menu hanging on the wall.

Sniff...

They probably sold the space and made serious BANK. I wonder what will go in next? Maybe an authentic Chinese restaurant! In Chinatown! Heh. Right.
____________________________________________

Just a quick question to those of you not accustomed to 60-degree weather: Scarves? Really?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! That's so sad!! I used to love sitting in the window and watching the metro police officers across the street. *sigh*

gabe said...

Well, there is at least one Chinese restaurant I like in Chinatown... I forget what it's called, but it's very generic sounding. They make noodles in the front window. The noodles are fresh and plentiful, but the real treat are these steamed buns called "shao long bao".

Also, you can get bubble tea at a place around the corner.

Anonymous said...

No more Potbelly's? What happened? Wasn't there any warning? When you were describing the cavernous hole, I thought maybe it blew it.

Heather said...

Gabester, that's good to hear - we'll have to go sometime! I mean, "steamed buns?" That sounds good, I'll have that.

Heather said...

I have no idea what happened, lem! It was completely gutted, but it's still listed on their website as being in operation. Which makes me wonder if something out of the ordinary happened...

Deals On Wheels said...

Haha...scarves!

The high yesterday in Dallas was 84, and I totally saw a man wearing a ski hat and a thick winter vest.

People are dumb.

Ross said...

Paulo loves you.

~Paulo

Anonymous said...

You should have at least walked in and stole the menu sign. And then took a dump on the floor.

Anonymous said...

I heard that they suffered severe water damage from the constant rains we got last week, so who knows if Potbelly will ever return to that location as they almost for sure were renting the building.

Heather said...

Ah, I see. Water damage. Too bad, though - I liked being a regular! They knew me! I wonder if that's a good or bad thing...