Monday, October 17, 2005

Flexible. Brilliant!

Started the Flex schedule today. For those of you not in-the-know, this is yet another way that the government allows its employees to slack off even more than they already do (see: here for other worthy examples of federal slackitude). You see, my babies, in a two week period, I will now work eight 9 hour days, one 8 hour day, and I have that second Friday off.

Brilliant!

Listen! Let me just tell you how awesome this is.

For example, Veterans Day just so happens to fall on my second Friday. Or, FuckOffDay, if you will. I always thought that the government would force me to forfeit that day, but as it is a lovely federal holiday, I get to take my Flex day the day before. Sweet! Four day weekend, without even trying!

But this is what happens - I wake up at 6 instead of 7 in order to avoid bathroom war with the roommates. I the "work" from 8-5:30 instead of 8:30-5. I really don't see how working one extra hour a day is manually equivalent to an entire day. Well, I mean, obviously the hours are the same in the end. It's just that I pretty much plan on using my first 45 minutes at work to wake my ass up and finish the crossword. And I'm sure that I'll space out several more times during the day (
Yeah, I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work).

Long story short, this is a good deal for me. It should help me more productive, not that I need any encouragement,but work to do might be nice. Now, as long as I can avoid falling asleep at my desk again, I should be fine.

Right, you know those squishy "wrist-saver" things that you place in front of the keyboard so you don't get all carpal-tunnel syndromed? Those make awesome headrests. So if my building doesn't do something about the air conditioning blasting into my office, I am going to have to haul a freaking quilt to my office, and being warm will make me fall asleep. And I know where to find a great pillow...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder whose job it is to think up these ways to do less work while appearing to be productive. That's got to be a pretty sweet job.