Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Spanish Omelette

After taking my mom to an incredible tapas restaurant for her birthday, I have been craving a version of the Spanish omelette we devoured.   CRAVING.  But I couldn't do it!

I couldn't do it because I didn't have a pan that could move from the stovetop to the oven, and I was afraid that even if I covered the handles in foil, they would melt and stink up the house to high heaven.  So I waited.  And craved.

And then I got a 30% coupon to Kohl's and decided that ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH GODDAMMIT.  I bought a cast iron skillet, because I didn't have one and always wanted one, and HOLY SHIT do you know how much work goes into those damn things?  This one was pre-seasoned, which sounds ridiculous and high maintenance, but I had to re-season it anyway because I washed it when I got home. Apparently that is a huge no-no, but I couldn't be fucked to read the fine print so whatever.

Traditionally, Spanish omelettes are made with olive oil, eggs, onions, and potatoes.  You'd think that it would be boring, but it so is not.  In fact, it really doesn't need much else.  I added a few herbs this time around, but only because they were growing on my terrace and were nice and fresh.

(Ha ha!  The wikipedia article says that a variation would be "without onions." Who in the hell would do that?!??!)



Spanish Omelette

6 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
fresh thyme and rosemary, chopped (optional)
potatoes - peeled, quartered, and sliced lengthwise
1 large yellow onion
olive oil - and lots of it

Heat 3/4 cup of olive oil in pan.  Add the potatoes and cook until tender - about ten minutes. Add the onions and cook until almost tender/translucent.  Beat the eggs and add the chopped herbs, salt, and pepper.  Pour the egg mixture into the pan and stir once.  Leave on heat for about a minute, then transfer to the oven.

Bake for 7 to 8 minutes.

Remove from oven and transfer to a plate to cut and serve.  Can be served hot or cold, by the way.  Both are equally awesome.

No comments: