Saturday, July 16, 2011

"Where the Hell is Cheboygan?"

For the Independence Day Holiday, I headed up north with K-10. Her dad has an amazing house on the shores of the Twin Lakes in Cheboygan, Michigan.

I know, Cheboygan sounds made up. But I assure you, it's a town. And a super awesome kitschy one at that.

For most Michiganders, "Up North" means exactly that. The majority of us leave the Detroit area and head north on I-75 and stop when we reach our cottage on a lake. It doesn't have to be one of the Great Lakes - there are many, many inland lakes that will do the trick. For us, the easily amused here in the Mitten, it is the ultimate retreat from civilization, work, bosses, and responsibilities.

Did you know that Michigan's number one industry has nothing to do with automobiles? It is tourism. Who'd have thought!

Anyway, it was an awesome, relaxing trip. K-10 used her vacation time to train for an upcoming triathlon, while I used the time to sleep, read, and watch birds. It was brilliant for the both of us.

From the driveway.

I don't know. I thought it was cute.

It's like being outside. BUT NOT.

View from the living room.

View from the deck.

Here's a good story: This is a winery behind someone's house in a residential neighborhood. We pulled into their driveway and K-10's dad knocked on the door of the house (which is what the sign instructs), and the guy took us to an out building where we sampled the sweetest wine ever (and not in a good way). It was... weird. And extremely awkward. But that's Michigan - we do awkward REALLY WELL.


Hi.


I wanted to eat here. I wanted to eat here SO BAD. I wanted to meet the owners and shake hands, as this is the best bar name EVER.


Mama loon and baby loon, you guys!


Another loon!



No comments: