Monday, July 31, 2006

Grandma's Boy

Oh holy Jesus.

When you have very low expectations for a movie, being disappointed can't happen. I went into Titanic with extremely low expectations only because everyone was gushing about it and I didn't see the point in getting my hopes up only to end up throwing things at the screen. Sure, it was a contrived storyline and sure, there may have been works by Picasso on board and sure, there could be a monstrosity of a blue gem at the bottom of the Atlantic because some ancient woman dropped it there in her bare feet and then died. But it was well-acted and it made ten kajillion dollars, regardless of the fact that history is written by the victors (read: first class passengers. And yes, I know that third class passengers survived, but let's face it, they obviously cannot read or write and they're poor, so their oral histories just aren't as valuable, now are they? Ah, history.) and we'll never really know what happened for sure. I still liked it even though the historian in me was like, "Yeah. Okay. Right." Titanic was historical fiction at best, but it worked.

Grandma's Boy, now. Grandma's Boy is a little film about a pot-smoking video game creator. I understand neither of these subcultures, and I still laughed my ass off. Filled with mostly B-actors, there is really no indication that it's going to be any good. Hell, Doris Roberts is good on Raymond, but who knew that she'd be one of the funnier actors in the film? Not me. There is a recognizable plot, an extremely bizarre villian, and Kevin Nealon as the boss. Great stuff here, great stuff.

The leads are great, but Nick Swardson (equal with Dane in hilarity, though not yet fame. Yet.), was hysterically funny. And if you have friends (as I do) who are obsessed with Guitar Hero and Dance, Dance Revolution, there is a scene that will make you tinkle. All. Over. The. Couch.

This is no Citizen Kane (and that's an understatement if I've ever seen one), but it is worth your time. You might want to make it a Miller Time, too. It can't hurt. Sure didn't hurt while watching Titanic...

No comments: