Monday, November 28, 2005

GOF


(Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire).

Saw it. On opening night. A week ago. And I'm still trying to decide how I felt about it. The book is darker, yes, so I should have expected to be scared. And I was. (Feet up on the seat, anyone? Oh, just me then?) . Then again, I thought that E.T. was scary. Of course, I was four years old... Nevermind.

The book is sad, yes, and that was most definitely reflected in the film. Ask those sitting around me how hard I was bawling. (Answer: Like a little girl).


I guess my main problem is not being able to get over the "feel-good" whimsical touch of the first two films/books and then the excitement of the third. This is the first book/film to actually get inside the mysteries of Harry's life and bring the horrors out into the open. Maybe I wasn't ready for that, I don't know.


I do think that the humor in the film was very well placed and executed quite well. Additionally, the whole "teenage angst" portions were fabulous. And hilarious. And slightly painful - now that I've gone through it all and know what the characters must be feeling!


I do not like Michael Gambon's portrayal of Dumbledore. And the makeup department has made him grungy and dirty and I am SO not a fan. Richard Harris was perfect - anyone playing the Big D in the future has a hard role to fill (and I hope someone else is slated for the fifthe film).


Of all four books, the viewer would benefit most greatly from reading
GOF before seeing the film adaptation. The first three films allow the viewer to be slightly oblivious to the background and inner thoughts of the characters. Because there are so many important clues in the fourth book that aren't captured on screen, reading the series would be beneficial. Don't get me wrong, I think that prior to seeing the films, reading the entire series of HP books is the best mode of attack (as for any movie adapted from a book - might need to read P&P again before seeing the most recent adaptation, for example).

Anyway, see it and make up your own mind!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

After seeing Harry Potter Adam and I discussed it in length, seeing as how we have a 20 minute drive home from the movie theater, and we both agreed that Dumbledore freaked us out this time and that he was much more boisterous this time around and it was not very true to the book Dumbledore whom we all adore. He was just too dirty and fraile. It was creepy. Overall I was a fan of the movie. I love the whole Harry/Cho, Ron/Hermione deals. But I too cried buckets!! I love you Heather Sally... remember Titanic!

Heather said...

It's not like I was hyperventilating during the end. Oh, wait...

Deals On Wheels said...

I refuse to read a series until the ENTIRE series is out...on paperback (so I can afford it).

So, one day I will know the whole HARRY POTTER story, but until then I am somewhat content in my ignorance (I love the movies).

P.S. It is really, really unnecessarily cold in Dallas. It might *gasp* snow on Wednesday. I'm sorry, what? I moved south for a reason!