Friday, January 18, 2008

Bean Bolognese

I took a Real Age quiz a few years ago, to discover my "real" age. Because I am pretty healthy, don't smoke, and love my veggies, my body was a few years younger than I actually am.

(Does this make sense at all?)

Anyway, I get emails from Real Age, and many contain recipes. I've made a few, and they've been really good, but the one I cooked up last night was great. Plus, it's vegetarian, so all of you herbivores can keep reading!

Here's the link to the original recipe, as I've altered it a bit for my tastes.

Bean Bolognese

1 14-ounce can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 14-ounce can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bay leaf
2/3 cup white wine
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped parsley
8 ounces elbow noodles (or small shell noodles)

Put a large pot of water on to boil.

In a small bowl, mash 1 cup of the beans (mixed) with a fork.

Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened (about 10 minutes). Add garlic and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, until fragrant (about 15 seconds). Add wine. Increase heat to high and boil until most of the liquid evaporates (about 3 to 4 minutes). Add can of tomatoes, 2 tablespoons parsley, and the mashed beans.

Bring to a lively simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened (about 6 minutes). Add the remaining whole beans, cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through (1 to 2 minutes more).

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.

Remove the bay leaf. Serve over pasta with the remaining parsley and Parmesan cheese, if preferred.

(Serves 4)

2 comments:

RR said...

Ah, the Real Age Test. I never finished taking it, but considering that I don't exercise and eat what Dr. Oz would no doubt consider only one step above garbage, it wasn't looking good.

The recipe looks pretty good--thanks!

Heather said...

rr - I had M&Ms and Hershey kisses for lunch the other day. Beat that!

Also, let me know if you make the recipe and what you think! It's actually really hearty.