Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Raw

On a cold, rainy Wednesday, I tried Oya, a fairly new Asian/French fusion restaurant in Chinatown. I decided it was time to experiment at last and try sushi for the first time. And let me tell you, Oya did not disappoint.

I opted for the Spicy California and the Tuna Avocado. The Spicy California was very good, and I was intelligent enough not to add any extra wasabi (I am a bit of a wuss in the spicy department). The Tuna Avocado was heavenly. Each level of flavor was immediately apparent - the tuna was wrapped in seaweed, then surrounded by rice, and finally held together with thin strips of perfectly ripe avocado.

I am excited to branch out and try new kinds of sushi as I stuck to the fairly safe options this time - a wise choice (I think) for my first sushi experience. What's next? Eel? I'll have to make myself try new ones, or else I'll be ordering the Tuna Avocado for ever!


It's funny - my parents both love sushi and my mom makes it every so often, but I could not be bothered to try it. Now? I can't believe that I have had sushi missing from my life!

No comments: